Idle and sensor problem

Hi,

When i start the car from cold the "choke" does not kick in. The revs stay around the 900 mark. Once the car has warmed up the revs shoot up to 1500 and stay there all the time. I have checked for leaks on the vac lines, made sure that all the connectors in but still no luck. The engine management light is not on when the car is started.

Does anyone know the names/part numbers of the two sensors on the throttle body?

What do you think the problem is?

Thanks

Shahzad

throttle position sensor or more likely your idle control valve (sometimes known as stepper motor).

this is the unit on the left hand side of the inlet mani as you look from front of car. it makes a ticking sound. there is a thread somewhere on how to take it apart and clean it.

if theres not one on here theres definately one on tgtt's usefull info section

Thanks for the reply.

I dont have anything on the left or my mani apart from the brake servo and a vac line which goes from the back of the mani to a little black thing which has a wire connected to it. Do you have a pic of the idle control valve so i can check?

Thanks

you have a N/A only FTEs and early model FE`s have the icv on the Left hand side.......all the sensor gubbins is on the throttle body its the grey one under the throttle body

Do you have a pic of it?

Roughly how much would it cost from toyota to get a new one?

my thread, the picture bellow the brake pads shows the ICV

http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index....4815&st=270

your looking at atleast £200 for it from toyota bro

Dam £200 quid, i think im going to the scrap yards. Do you think i need the electronic bit or the whole bottom section?

try and clean yours first, take it off and give it a good spray of WD40......whats the mileage on the engine??

100,000 a little bit high but full toyota service history.

Do you think i need the electronic bit or the whole bottom section

I had a similar problem a while back, and took the icv off completely! Took it to pieces and found that the magnetic bit was jammed! Sprayed a load of carb cleaner on it and loosened it up, popped it back on and it was fine!