Cylinder head question

Hey all,

Just about to go tighten my c/h head down, Just wanted to no, Do i have to rotate my bottom pulley round so that the pistons are top dead center? Another words rotate the bottom pulley so that the grooves on the pulley match up with the triangle on the oil pump casing...?

OR

Do i leave the pulley and pistons were they are from when i took the old head off? I turned the bottom pulley to get the cams timed up before i took the head off? So therfore it should be okay to put the head back on and the cams back in the same way i took them out?

Hope you can all understand this ha

Thanks in advance..

Phil

surely your engine would be at tdc when your cams were timed, if you put the engine so cyl1 & cly 4 are at tdc (the mark is on the crack pulley) then line your cams with the dots it will be fine,

i did mine like this and it runs bob on, obv you have to time it all together once you get your cam pulley on for the cam belt

surely your engine would be at tdc when your cams were timed, if you put the engine so cyl1 & cly 4 are at tdc (the mark is on the crack pulley) then line your cams with the dots it will be fine,

i did mine like this and it runs bob on, obv you have to time it all together once you get your cam pulley on for the cam belt

Yeah Thats what i did :p Thanks dude.

Yeah i take it i need a timing gun to do that, or is it better to leave it to the pro's?

Phil

Yeah Thats what i did :p Thanks dude.

Yeah i take it i need a timing gun to do that, or is it better to leave it to the pro's?

Phil

timing gun is used for the ignition timing mate, not engine timing. thats where you rotate your dizzy to on the adjusters to make the plugs fire right etc.

have you got the cams in and correctly alighned? theres 2 dots on one cam, and one big dot on the other, i cant member which way round they are though. get them in, put your cam pulley on and move it round to the 4e mark on it, move the bottom crank pulley round so the marks alighn for tdc and should be about there :p

timing gun is used for the ignition timing mate, not engine timing. thats where you rotate your dizzy to on the adjusters to make the plugs fire right etc.

have you got the cams in and correctly alighned? theres 2 dots on one cam, and one big dot on the other, i cant member which way round they are though. get them in, put your cam pulley on and move it round to the 4e mark on it, move the bottom crank pulley round so the marks alighn for tdc and should be about there :p

move the cam pulley around were mate? Does the 4e mark have to align up to something? Well the crank pulley at the moment is at tdc?

P

Cams in lined up, crank pulley on with cylinder 1 and 4 at tdc then cam pulley on the 4e slot as said.

Basically when you take the cam pulley off there are two slots, 4e and 5e, just put it so the slot sits on the 4e mark, you'll see what I mean :p

the mark is really small, is the engine out of the car?

just take your time and have a look around the bottom pulley, on the engine side rim of the pulley there is a small mark, if its hard to see, when you find it put a small bit of tip ex or something on it so it can be seen easier. line that bit up with the mark on the pump housing :p

you should feel where tdc is because the crank will go light then tight again :p

A good tip to find TDC when the head is fitted is to remove the plug from cylinder 1 and put an extension bar down there and rest it on top of the piston, then turn it over until the extension bar reaches its highest point :p

A good tip to find TDC when the head is fitted is to remove the plug from cylinder 1 and put an extension bar down there and rest it on top of the piston, then turn it over until the extension bar reaches its highest point :p

i did that with a long screwdriver lol does work a treat though