Does every mod need mapping....

As i used to own a subaru justy im a member on scoobynet and i go to the local welsh meets. Tonight tho i mentioned that ill be fitting a decat and manifold soon to my glanza. To which they were quite shocked that i wouldnt be getting it mapped (as i read on here that i dont need to) Most of them know their cars really well and how to get the best out of them, but they also thought it would only be a matter of time before i caused some engine damage if i add mods without it being mapped. So what im saying is, is there a limit of how far you can go before you need a aftermarket remappable ecu? Or should the car be mapped every bolt on mod i put on it? im confused. Surely a decat and manifold isnt going to effect the cars fueling to much? or am i wrong. What are your thoughts guys Ryan

Ideally you should get a remap for every mod you do, i.e you change the exhaust, get the fuelling checked/adjusted to suit and say you add an induction kit after that you should get it checked/adjusted again to suit

But on a stock ecu aslong as your below fuel cut it should always be fuelling enough to not need a remap, they do run quite rich on the standard ECU/

So the idea is that most of the common bolt on mods would never cause the car to run lean enough to cause any damage and generally just cause it to run a bit rich with the bonus of extra bhp..? They just put me off abit fitting the decat and mani to be honest without changing anything else. Im a bit paranoid about engine mods as i need it running every day for work.

You've got nothing to worry about mate :p

Simple bolt ons like that will be fine, only thing that comes to mind of being detrimental would be running 1 bar on a stock exhaust manifold, using a FCD (Fuel Cut Defender) with no fuelling mods to compensate for higher boost etc, stupid things lol

Set boost at 0.75/0.8 bar and you'll be fine pretty much whatever you wanna fit within reason

That's right a HKS actuator to set it and boost gauge to check and monitor boost levels

It depends, I believe our cars only need a basic idle emissions test (not fast idle) but other people say GT/Glanzas registered after 1995 need a cat, depends how nice your MOT tester is I guess lol

I'll soon find out when my '95 GT goes in for MOT lol

That's right a HKS actuator to set it and boost gauge to check and monitor boost levels

It depends, I believe our cars only need a basic idle emissions test (not fast idle) but other people say GT/Glanzas registered after 1995 need a cat, depends how nice your MOT tester is I guess lol

I'll soon find out when my '95 GT goes in for MOT lol

I already have a Greddy boost gauge so i guess im going to need a hks actutor am i before i fitt the decat and mani? Mine has just passed the MOT so ill be good for a year anyway untill the next one lol

I already have a Greddy boost gauge so i guess im going to need a hks actutor am i before i fitt the decat and mani? Mine has just passed the MOT so ill be good for a year anyway untill the next one lol

You wont need the actuator before you fit the Decat and Manifold. I had both on mine with the standard acuator and lo/hi boost soleniod inplace aswell. Like Sparky said it is ideal to have it remapped after each mod, but it isnt practicable thoughh :p. Well my bank balance wouldnt stretch that far B)

Nah you'll be okay for now Ryan, but many stock actuators are leaky (all are quite weak compared to the HKS item) so it's a good thing to replace in the future even IF you don't want to up the boost, as it'll help hold boost better :p

Also, you should be aware the boost may creep (it may rise above normal levels) after fitting modifications that get rid of restrictions, especially in cold weather. If power cuts out and/or the engine management light turns on it means you have hit fuel cut, so it would be wise to turn down boost slightly via an adjustable actuator until you can sort out fuelling (aftermarket ECU or FCD&RRFPR). If you keep hitting fuel cut, the engine can obviously run lean and get damaged!

Thanks everyone so far. Im not sure what size the decat is ill measure it on monday as its in work at the moment ;) Am i right in thinking then that i could use an apexi avcr to control the boost instead of a hks actuator to stop it spiking after i fitt the decat and also will any avcr fitt my car as my mate has one for sale off his impreza

I modified my old glanza upto 170bhp without ever remapping it... i did however get a rrfpr and checked it was fuelling ok on a rolling road.

these little cars and there ecu are very manageable if pushed in the right direction ;)

also all boost controllers are universal but you would have to hard wire it onto the correct wires.