hey folks,

preparing the car for a td04 setup, however, im stuck on what breaks to buys, should i be buying discs and pads? or just pads? Braided lines?

Also tyres? Recommended tyres for such a setup aswell? Car wont be for track use, just day to day use.

Any advice and links would be appreciated. Had a look on tm and racetech, but theres too many to choose from!

hey folks,

preparing the car for a td04 setup, however, im stuck on what breaks to buys, should i be buying discs and pads? or just pads? Braided lines?

Also tyres? Recommended tyres for such a setup aswell? Car wont be for track use, just day to day use.

Any advice and links would be appreciated. Had a look on tm and racetech, but theres too many to choose from!

you can find it on ebay, CRN got good ones give them a ring , £120 for front grooved discs and yellow stuff pads, dont get drilled as they may crack, Hell lines are findable around 25-40 quid, this is perfect for road and track days too.

good luck

I'd go for Levin twin pots or a similar upgrade from the standard calipers as no matter what discs and pads you put on it, they won't give you the extra stopping power you will need. and benefit from for the extra power/torque/speed the TD04 is going to produce. Do note that these types of calipers are used/2nd hand and more often than not need rebuilding and servicing which adds to the cost, plus brake disc modifications and longer wheel studs/spacers etc if gathering the parts separately.

I use the levin twins myself and for day to day they are very efficient and a proper upgrade, on the track I am sure they would hold their own. As well as standard toyota pads you can also get great aftermarket stuff like Endless and the like, I use Endless SS.

Tyres well worth checking out for the road are Goodyear Eagle GSD3 (discontinued but still stock about) Uniroyal Rainsport 2 (best grip in the wet for a road tyre) and good in the dry or for pure dry weather the Yokohama Parada Spec2. Check out camskill for great prices on sets of tyres delivered to your door.

What is your budget? If the skys the limit, a set of new WMS, Wilwoods, or K-Sport will sort you out rightly. £600-£800-900 depending on your choice and seriousness of your project/driving style. 2nd hand 4pot kits like Wilwoods can be found for £500+ but they don't come up often, if its for something as important as brakes I'd go brand new. For our cars there is no such thing as overkill, if you want big brakes they will only help you in the long run in your search for more power and a higher level of tune.

Joz

If you've got the money to throw at it i'd go for wms setup, saying that I'm running on ebc grooved front discs and green pads, with ebc pads on the rear with braided brake hoses and it stops me quick enough,(granted you can never stop quick enough) I will be investing in a wms setup when the funds are there though.

i use yellow stuff pads on front, mintex on the rear and grooved discs all round and well as front braided lines. ive been runing td04 now for 3 months or so, and the car does get some abuse, brakes have never failed or faded as yet. seems a good set up for the power as the wheels lock up before the brakes fade. i use yoko s drive tyres which tbh im impressed with and theyve lasted a lot longer than my paradas did on a stock turbo set up for similar grip B)