MOT fail on brakes

hi, ive just bought a black 1999 (T reg) manual glanza a couple of weeks ago only 60,000KM's on it.

The car had been sat around for a few months and didn't have an mot when i bought it but had a good look over it and it looked clean enough. I had to replace the manifold gaskets, the battery and get part of the exhaust welded up then put it in for a MOT but it failed on:

Headlamp aim too high (should be an easy fix) 1.8

offside rear mechanical brake component has restricted free movement 3.5.1j

offside rear brake binding 3.7.A.5a

parking brake efficiency below requirements 3.7.A.10

Front brakes imbalanced 3.7.A.2d

so i took the brakes apart and all the brake pads are nearly new and the discs are in good condition but the rear drivers sized caliper has seized. Does anyone know where i could get a reasonably cheap rear caliper (second hand probably)? and any ideas on why the front brakes are imbalanced if the pads and discs are in good condition?

any help is much appreciated
wink.gif

cheers

second hand working rear calipers are slowly getting like rocking horse poop as they are a very common fault, but you can buy rebuild kits from tm-developments. other than that its a new one from toyota which i think are just over £200.

as for the front 1s if the pads a new and its not been driven they may just need bedding in so if theres a quiet lane or something near you try driving slowly with your foot slightly on the brakes, this should bed them in.

hope this helps!

ok i will have a look at the rebuild kits then, the brake pads on the front look new but they have been used a little bit, i will have to wait until i get the rear caliper sorted out before i try and move the car as well.

cheers