alternator problems

Right, car wasnt charging the battery so i replaced the alternator, first click of the key, all the dash light come on, go to turn to start it, aaand nothing, just a whirring noise.

So my friends went back under the car and noticed a small blue wire wasnt connected to anything, he connected it to the starter motor as thats the only place he could see it could go, and this time, first click, All the dash lights apart from battery and alternator warning come on, go to start it and it started fine, but its still not charging the battery.

Any ideas?

hmm im not sure, i charged the battery off the mains then it was left for a day or 2 of charge, still had plenty of juice in it when i connected it back to the car.

Just seems weird that when this cable was connected to the starter motor the dash lights for the battery and alternator no longer came on

strange one aint it ;)

Im going to head round to the car in a bit and check the alternator fuse and check the connections etc.

Also whats the deal with leaving a battery on a concrete floor?

and sparky mate you may well be hearing from me soon regarding those alternators, p.s sorry to hear about your GT =[