Complete Noob here, never worked on a car before but always wanted to do everything myself on my car and progress and learn by doing everything myself. We've all got to start somewhere...

Anyway, i Fitted a Ripspeed air filter to my starlet, chav i know and when i first did it this is what it looked like...

286146_10150252750050846_716540845_7971391_3165449_o.jpg

Ignore the actual air filter for the moment, but basicly where the bracket was for the old box for the old filter, is where that black filter is, if your following, i moved it from the back of the engine bay to where the bracket is for the old filter to allow the room for the new one, and when i did this the gear linkage in my car became very sticky, and if i was in neutral and moved the gear stick left or right, it would stay left or right, it wouldent spring back into place.

Anyway, (This is hard to explain as i dont have a picture) Ill get one up tomorrow, but basicly i put the old air filter back, but without the top half of the box and without the old air filter, so the Ripspeed air filter is still on there, but its resting on top of the old air filter box. so if you just picture a standard starlet engine, without the top half of the box of the air filter being on, and without the air filter being inside it, but with the new air filter resting on top, so there is cold air coming through and it is being sucked up underneath, this allowed me to put back the other filter or whatever it is, where it is supposed to be (the one that was hanging on the old bracket of the air filter)

BASICLY

to cut a long story short, my gear linkage is back to normal, feels so smooth and springs back into place like it should, HOWEVER, my air filter doesnt sound as loud, not really a problem, but it doesnt feel as fast, now im aware air filters dont actually do much, if not anything on cars. but when i first put it on i could feel it pull from 30-40 in 2nd really nicely, and it still wanted more, but now, when you reach 30 in 2nd it just feels slow, and i dont know if its just me or? but i can definatley say it was quicker before, which wouldent make sense seing as theres cold air going to it now, and before it was sucking up warm air from the engine.... It Just doesnt make sense, I applaud anyone who read through all this. And i hope someone understands me!

Dave.

You cant beat the standard air filter pod with a blitz or k&n pannel filter. If you want noise get a cat back exhaust with an aftermarket filter and your sorted.

Yeah i do want a back box but i dont know how to go about it.. because i dont want a full exhaust system just the back box, but i dont want to go cutting/welding things. but to buy anything like that its like 100-200 quid?

The only way to get a direct back box is to find a TTE backbox on sale here. A glanza system will not fit as the diameter of the pipe is slightly bigger. The best way is to put out a wanted request.