Another Heating problem...

Right for a while now my heating on full heat has been say lukewarm? its just warm enough to defrost the car after a long time, But its still properly shit and isnt as hot as it used to be. Cold is as usual cold... Now the blowers regardless of what Setting apart from the highest dont work, so its either full bore or fuck all lol. so far i have tried

Sticking a hosepipe in the inlet/outlet pipes

Checking the wires/flaps under the dash which seem to be working fine?

Car is a UK Spec n/a

Thanks

mine was exactly the same when i got it, nothing at all on low settings apart from the high setting. there is a resistor block in the heater, and one of the connections snaps sometimes and causes the problem. basically if you take your glove box out there is a small plastic panel with two screws holding it in, right in front of you. take it out ad have a look, will be a block of ceramic over the components but you will see the connections and see where it has snapped off. just solder it back up, thats what i did anyways. im not sure if these pics will work;

20tjm39.jpg

1zf0g3.jpg

2eydyfa.jpg

the bottom pic is the best to see where it has snapped, the shiny bit just above the thumb is where the long strip should be stuck onto. that pic is before it was soldered. i took mine into uni to solder it, just your bog standard cheap as chips iron and solder, nothing special, i'm not trusted with the special things, girls and power/expensive tools and all that haha. just hold the strip down to where it should be stuck onto, heat the area with the soldering iron and then solder it basically haha. be careful to hold it in place for about a min after youve applied the solder though because it may flick off and it hurts like a bitch haha. i would'nt advise wrapping it in anything bud as the ceramic and metallic strips get bloody hot! youre likely to set fire to your car if you wrap it. Also, don't remove it while the car is still warm, again it gets bloody hot lol.

sorry if you're the same guy but this was my reply to a very similar problem a few weeks ago :p

as for the warmth of the heaters, heater matrix or thermostat?

the fan will/blower will quit likely be the control board that sits in the airduct behind the glovebox, they get damp and solders corrode. ^^ like that lol

the heat itself, have you started the car without the radcap on and made sure the interior heaters on then keep topping up the rad with water. maybe even jack up the front of the car to promote the air to come out. run the car upto temp to make sure the thermostat opens u should notice when this happens at theres more activity from the open rad cap.

Thankyou ever so much! Was wondering if they had a resistor card for the heater, But i had no idea where to start looking lol! Will have to check that at work and solder it up:)

And morgey doubt theres anything wrong with the heating in that way, i always check the water etc so i doubt its that? Could still try. and it also gets upto temp as normal, thermostat was replaced last year i think because it was fubared, May try the running upto temp with the rad cap on though but the level hasnt dropped at all, and even opening the cap when its hot just spurts hot water out as usual?

Im starting to think heater matrix:/ Is that a dash out job to do?

If u get the car upto temp WITHOUT the cap on it wont be under any pressure just bubbles a lil bit

you said you tried running the hose pipe thru your inlet and outlet of your heater matrix pipes on the bulkhead? Did water flow thru ok? If it did then I cant see that would be much of a problem :s

Does alot of air come out of your airvents? Do you need a new cabin filter? Mines got pathetic lately and need to look at mine

Will try running it upto temp with it off and see if it works, and yeh ran water throught the bulkhead and thats all fine.

And tbh not much air does come out, makes loadsa noise but not too much air comes out. Didnt know these had a cabin filter where the hell is it?