Don't turn it up to 80% if it's not mapped for it, it could potentially do a lot of damage (hence the previous owner saying only on rare occasions).

What other mods does your car have? What maximum boost pressure does it reach?

It's probably going up to 0.9 because the duty is too high. I set the duty on mine with trial and error, it's never been a fixed number for a certain boost pressure in my experience. Take it to a long road where you can hit full boost, start the duty lower and slowly increase it until it's not going over 0.8.

You can run 1 bar on a stock ECU by using a Fuel cut defender and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. Personally I wouldn't even bother, I'd save for a budget piggyback ECU such as an E-Manage Blue and have the car mapped properly with that.

I wouldn't bother unless I had the following mods (as a minimal):

Aftermarket manifold/ported stock manifold

Ported wastegate

Decat

Free flowing exhaust

FMIC

Free flowing air filter (preferably relocated)

Is the engine healthy? If it's had a hard life (unregular oil changes etc) then it might be a bit of a risk, but it's always different with different cars!

I have all then mods apart from the

Manifold, I also have a FCD and FPR although not sure if it's a rising one. I assume the engine is healthy, not had any problems

In the 6 months of owning it, and it sounds healthy. Tempted to save up for a

Pulsar though