Anyone ever used piston rings from other manufactures

Hi

Been talking to my local engineering workshop who do all the local block work and hes mentioned to me to consider using piston rings from the manufacturer "Hastings piston rings" a large USA manufacturer whos been making them since 1918.

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/

He says he sends them all over the UK for other people with performance cars and that they about £65 compared to about £110 with toyota.

Has anyone used them before?

It is possible to use rings from other manufacturers, although they will have to know some measurements to make them, as most are probably not off the shelf items.

They might be apart of the Mahle group, which we all know are the world leaders in piston technology. Mahle also own a company called Clevite who make rings.

We can supply OEM Toyota pistons rings for less than £100. £65 isn't bad though, worth a try if they have them readily available. I opted for OEM Toyota over the ones Drakes Engineering recommended when building my 5E though (just for complete peace of mind).