timing problem i think?

The problem i have is when i stand on the throttle or go up a steep hill my car sounds like a bag of spanners. Just pootling around its fine.

I tried the 98 octane fuel as a test and it was a lot better but more expensive for me. I even took it to my local toyota garage for a tune up and it came back not much better as he said thats all he could do. But personnally i think he did bugger all. And no-one i know can do computer timing, not even the local auto tuners i`ve asked cant do it as it was them who said toyota only. Which i think i bollocks.

I have a EP91 4EFE n/a and want a way of solving it very cheaply. I`ve changed the plugs and its got a K&N air filter which is still clean.

Anybody know how to solve this little problem i have?

get a timing light and hook it up see where its at, has it had its timing belt done recently? is it using oil? detting when on a hill and you floor it?

makes a pinging noise when its underload its hardly noticeable on a straight but put the car on a hill and put your foot down...as it builds the revs youll hear a specific noise.....