Does using the little crankcase breather filter ontop of the rocker cover effectively do anything

Basically noticed the small pipe from my standard recirc valve has split I was advised to leave the car setup like this

Previously on my last engine I had the little filter on the top but over time tis started spitting oil over my bay

Bit stuck if anyone can help

But it's safe to run it with a mini filter yea I was going to go down the catch can road but have heard they are quite bad for the engine and the arguments I've read are very confusing

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you should use just the filter. You'll have oil all over your bay again, not to mention the fire hazzard. A decent baffled catch can, plumbed properly, is designed to 'catch' this oil and filter it out of the air being recirculated to the inlet mani.

This is not bad for your engine in anyway, unless you never empty it the yes you could hydro lock your eng. And in fact would be much better for you emissions too.