5efe to 5efte conversion. how?

Hey guys and girls. Just picked up a low mileage 5efe with the intention of forging/rebuilding it as a turbo lump. What exactly needs doing? I know the bores are the same but what rods are required? I have heard of people having to knotch the block for con rods? Also what macine work has to be done to the flywheel?

If it is going to cost the earth to do then there could be a complete engine up for grabs as I havnt stripped it down at all. Low mileage (70k) still has inlet, exhaust, distributor all attached.

Any info appreciated.

Some rods do need the block notching mate, as far as I'm aware Pauter and possibly PAR rods do not.

The crank stud pattern is different to that of the 4E crank, the flywheel can be re-drilled but for the cost and hassle you can buy a conversion flywheel, which is a 3E flywheel (has correct fitment for 5E crank and also allows the 212mm clutch from the 4E to be used).

Also check here mate, will put you on the right track...

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showwiki.php?title=Building+a+5E-FTE+-+Some+basic+info

Edited by AdamB

Cheers paul and adam. I'll have a look at the link when I get in later on. But at the moment I think it will be going up for sale. Shame really because it is in really good condition. Would make a good engine once converted. :(

Here you go dude, have a read, it lists the total build process

http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52242&st=0#entry673189

Yes its also expensive to go the forged 5e route, what caught me out what the cost of all the machine work, prices are listed including upgrading the clutch cost me just over 3k!

Expensive but worth it :p

I will be at JAE so you can take a look :p