Just picked up a manual box for my auto>manual conversion and was wondering if there is any way to check it before I put it on the car. Gave the guy 50 quid for it and will give him another 50 if it's a good box but don't want to put it on if I can check it 1st. There is maybe 2mm of play on the input shaft (in and out) but none at all side to side, is this ok? Also the oil seals look visually ok, what else can I do to check it?

Theres to levers one should clonk into place the other should feel springy and return to the center the one that clonks is the back and forth movement.

Without touching the springy one it will be 3rd and 4th push the springy one, one way and it will be 1st and 2nd and the other way 5th but it wont go into reverse until the other levers moved central and then back as theres a lock that stops you going feom 5th to reverse ;)

Edited by morgey

You Should have two levers like these boxes

Random pic from google

058D9B59-6C4A-4D85-8774-88FBBB568E88-2192-000002CD5E4129B3.jpg

On the left box its clearer, Theres the bracket and the arm going into the rubber seal/boot ones for left and right and the others the back and forth movement of the gearstick this is where the two cables attach

Have you got them both? If not i can remove one of the ones on my other gear boxes for ya most likely

Got a clutch fork and a release bearing on it's way. Slave cylinder and lines to master cylinder and in a box at the bottom of the stairs ready to fit. Is the earth strap not just a cable with a connector on the end that bolts to the mount?