what kind of amp will i need?

Hey, i've just bought a pair of sony XS-F1035 10cm speakers for the front (3-way coaxial, 140W peak power, 30W rated power), and some kenwood KFC-E6950 6x9s for the back (5 way 500W peak, 90W rated), along with a sony headunit that offers 4x52W output. Now, i'm sure i will need an amp to make the speakers sound good right? but i know nothing about them! if someone could give me some advice that'd be great! Thanks, james.

Hey James

Long time no see mate.

You keepin well?

Bourkey will read this soon and post you a decent answer as he installs ICE for people, so he would be your best bet and would know all about that!

Wait for his reply!

Joz

Thanks Joz :p

Firstly all the speakers you have got are pretty good but for future reference it is always best to stick with one make as you get a better sound quality. You may not notice straight away but if you listen really carefully you can tell the difference slighlty. Sorry im a perfectionist. :(

For the front speakers you can run them off the head unit but don't have too much bass on them as they are only small so they wont take too kindly to a battering. They will even sit perfectly in the same place as the old ones aswell.

As for the 6x9's the will definately need amping as the headunit will barely move them. You already have Kenwood 6x9's so a good kenwood amp should go with it.

This amp has a good amount of power to push them so they should sound pretty good. Remember it is always better to go over the recommended rms rating than to go under. Plug the amp into the rear RCA output in the back of the headunit aswell to get the right sound field.

Also remember a system is only as good as it's wires. If you use a cheap wiring kit the sound quality isn't going to be as good as if you used a good wiring kit.

If you need anymore help just ask. :p

hey, cheers for that bourkey, and yer i haven't been on in a while joz - final year of uni! but its all done with now, so i have spare time again!

with regards to that amp bourkey, i'm confused! you say it's better to go over than under right? but that amp says 2x150w and 2x100w? do these numbers relate to the rated output of the speakers then and not the max output? thanks

with regards to that amp bourkey, i'm confused! you say it's better to go over than under right? but that amp says 2x150w and 2x100w? do these numbers relate to the rated output of the speakers then and not the max output? thanks

Yes thats correct. You can over the standard RMS rating not the max rating. :p

Not hard to fit mate, you'll need an amp wiring kit too. A 8 guage wiring kit would do the job good seen as its only a pretty small amp, you can get them off ebay for about £15. The main thing when fitting it is to hide the wires under the cars carpet/sill covers :p

Plugging the wires in etc is a piece of piss :p

Yep like Idrees said its pretty easy as the Starlet is easy to take apart. Don't drill a hole in the car for an earth like a lot do when there is plenty of earth points all over the car. Just undo a bolt that goes into the metal of the car and put it there. Easy

I'll get a pic up of the earthing point if you want.

This is an amp wiring kit:

7b2d_1.JPG

In your amp wiring kit you will get the following

Power lead - Usually about 5 metres long

Earth lead - Usually about 1 metre long

Phono lead & remote wire - Usually about 5 metres long

Fuse holder

Firstly, rip out your head unit. Connect the Blue remote wire to a Blue wire that comes out of the back of your headunit, which usually has a little sticker saying Remote on it. Then connect your phono leads to the back of the headunit, making sure the colours match up correctly.

Pass these wires through the back of your centre console, so that they're all in your front drivers footwell. Hide the wires up behind the pedals somewhere, take the plastic cover off to make it easier/tidier if you wish.

Then open the car door and pop off the sill cover, pass the wire through under the carpet. Fold over your back seats, and pull the wire out from somewhere there. Once its all through, you can fit your sill cover back on and fit your headunit back in place.

Pass the wires through to the boot of your car, leave the seats folded over for the power lead.

Now for the power lead, this need to be connected to your battery. In the engine bay theres a rubber bung behind the stock airbox location, pull it out and pass the power cable down that. Put your hand up behind the glovebox in search to grab this lead!

Once you've got it, tuck it under the carpet and pass it through to the boot of your just like you did on the other side with the phono leads.

You'll now need to fit the fuseholder to the power lead. Connect the power lead to the positive side of your battery, and cut the wire somewhere more than 6 inches away from the battery. Fit your fuseholder between this cut and obviously put a fuse in it!

Right, now its just the earth to do. Fold over the rear seats and lift up the boot carpet to find a bolt attached to the body of your car. Earth the lead on to that.

Connect your leads to the amp, making sure the right ones go in the right place! Don't let the positive and the negative touch or else you'll blow the fuse in the power lead, easily replaced though.

Now connect your subwoofer/speaker to your amp, and tune your amp to the speakers needs. Don't tune it too high or else you'll end up blowing whatever your powering!

Sorry about some of this not making much sense, but its 2.12am! I'll edit it tomorrow, and I'll get some photos of how its been done to my brothers car to make life easier!

Hope this helps!