Help Disgnosing Cluch Problem

Here is a quick summary and background of the car and problem.

About 2-3 months ago I converted the car from auto to manual and everything has been running fine since then. Today drove in to get her MOT'd and the clutch started to feel funny all of a sudden and without warning. The biting point went from being normal to right down on the floor and from slightly progressive to being like a switch. It is an exedy 3 puk paddle and yes I know paddles are harsh but it used to be alot more progressive than it is now, it is literally on or off. It has now got worse to the point where i have to match the revs to get it into gear and the bite is totally on the floor. To put the car in reverse I need to turn it off then put it in then turn on in gear and then the clutch is kind of half in when it is on the floor so creeps back and revs drop.

I have checked the lines and slave and both seem bone dry, also it hasn't lost any fluid. It doesn't slip in any gears even on full boost and it's 222bhp so I would think it would if the clutch was totally fucked. Also in 4th or 5th at low revs when I plant it, there is still no slipping of the clutch. What could be the cause?

The clutch kit was 2nd hand so I suppose any parts could be worn out. Only other things I could think of would be knackered release bearing (although it is not noisey at all) knackered slave cylinder (how can I test this?).

Any input greatly appreciated as I don't want to fork out for a new clutch quite yet if this is not the problem.

How soon will you be sorting the group buy for your clutches mate as that is what I had in mind? Been told to check the travel of the slave cylinder first aswell by pulling fork over with prybar and then getting somebody to press clutch then release the fork and make sure it doesn't push the slave back. Hope it's not the master cylinder either because that was a cunt to get in place during manual conversion.

Have you checked the pedal adjustment? If the locking nut has got loose, the master cylinder's rod will get shorter and at the some point the travel won't be enough to release.

My 3puck paddle clutch started to act the same way as yours and finally I couldn't get it to release at all. It turned out that the clutch was totally broken.

• 4 weeks later...

I fitted an exedy clutch to my n/a 3000 miles later I replaced it with main dealer one fine ever since mine was a faulty part like all above has said check hydraulic system first for leaks air in system