Steering wheel shaking

I have a bit of a problem with my steering wheel shaking up and down when the engine is idling, for example at traffic lights. It's not just a little bit, it goes up and down pretty far and rather loudly which is very annoying. I can solve this problem by very slightly revving the engine, literally about 100 rpm will completely stop it. My idea to fix this was to raise the idle revs very slightly but when I ran this past a mechanic friend he said it could possibly damage the clutch but to ask on here to make sure.

So I have 2 questions really: Will raising the revs when idle by about 100-200 rpm cause any damage to the clutch and if not do you think it will actually cure the problem?

I have a bit of a problem with my steering wheel shaking up and down when the engine is idling, for example at traffic lights. It's not just a little bit, it goes up and down pretty far and rather loudly which is very annoying. I can solve this problem by very slightly revving the engine, literally about 100 rpm will completely stop it. My idea to fix this was to raise the idle revs very slightly but when I ran this past a mechanic friend he said it could possibly damage the clutch but to ask on here to make sure.

So I have 2 questions really: Will raising the revs when idle by about 100-200 rpm cause any damage to the clutch and if not do you think it will actually cure the problem?

What mechanic told you that?

Be interested to know how it would damage the clutch