Help! Alternator belt problems

So my alternator belt snapped 3 weeks ago, got it fixed at gargage, then yesterday it started screeching had a long journey to do, by The end of which the brand new belt snapped off. So fitted another today, this time I fitted it, but new belt is still screeching...

Tension seems ok but seems that belt is rubbing on the plastic cambelt cover (think that's what cover is).

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions? Cheers

Edited by scatter

Cant get vid up (at mo) yeah we checked that, 3 people have looked at it and all reckon it's something to do with the cambelt cover and we can feel a crack or something in it, located under the belt - so we can't see it...

I do have time to do that danza, but as I'm new to cars not sure I would spot problem unless it's obvious... Think I'm gonna take it into the garage that fixed the 1st belt tomorrow and see what they say.

Strangely I just drove the car 20 miles and the screeching completely stoped after a mile... But then I moved the car from bottom of street to my house and screeching was back...

Thanks for the help everyone. So took the car to my local garage, they had a look and can't see anything... All they suggested is that maybe alternator is ceasing up now and then, but they said it's hit or miss and might not be the problem. I'm going see what happens with this new belt and carry a spare belt incase it goes again...

Carry some WD40 with you too and if it starts squeeling again try to spray some on the alternator pulley (not the belt) If it helps then more than likely its the pulley seizing.

Cheers for the tip will do this

could be your alt bracket is bent

Cheers will check this tomorrow

Go back to the garage lad and get them to sort it

They couldn't see anything and screeching seems to of gone, hoping it was just a weak or over tight belt. only time will tell.

As a bonus they fixed my blowing exhaust fro free - wasn't looking forward to doing that with my standard wheel jack, extreme mechanics lol

Edited by scatter

Good axle stands are £14 off amazon lol

cheers, good price for my life lol

Fyi when fitting the.altenator belt you need to lever the altenator with a 'lever' or 'stick' to have right tension on the belt its near impossible.to do by hand

Thanks for the pointer. Luckily I had my stepfather helping and he knows what to do, we used a crow bar. but think he may of done it a bit tight as the garage took it off to have a look and now its not screeching...figers crossed problem is sorted.