Decat and bigger turbo

I would like to gut my cat on my ep91 but the guys at powerflow told me that I will need to get the car remapped? Is that right? Also when you gut the cat do any lights start appearing on the dashboard?

Another question is if I was to get a bigger turbo on my glanza what else would I have to change and how much would a garage charge to do all the work? Also what turbos can be fitted and what bhp gains can be achieved?

Thanks

powerflow are talking pish, you wont need to get your car mapped, but because there is least resistance for the engine your boost will go up by about 1-2 psi so will trigger your fual cut and your engine management light if it peaks over the ther 12.5 psi thresh hold

so ull have to compensate with your boost controller.

turbos,

ive done a write up on this

you could get yourself a ct9 or ct 12 hybrid that is a direct fit but ull be best of changing the manifolld aswell as ther is a heavy restriction in runner number three that could cause problems to your engine if you run over a bar, removing this restriction will help with torque aswell,

fucku0-p029.jpg

you need to ask youself how much power you want,

standard internals are good but dependant on your figure you will need different parts.....

so what gains would a ct9 hybrid or a ct12 give me? and how much can you pick them up for? Where abouts is your post on turbos enzo? Also where can I pick another cat up from as if I gut mine I wont have one for the mot!

the highest recorded for a (s2) gt spec ct9 hybrid was 221 at 1.2 bar,we are on the therd revision with a different compressor wheel,

im developing a ct12 hybrid as it has a larger turbine housing, should be good for 230+, these are best suited to every day driving with zero lag

but what power are you after???????

a tdo4 is good for 250-60 bhp witht the use of a thicker headgasket on standard internals.

you do not need another cat for mot time, because the glanza does not have a uk equivlant car vosa states that mr mot man can only do a base idle test so you will get through without a cat :p

Oh, thats good news bout the cat then! A guy that comes into my work is a metal fabricator so I could either get him to knock me a decat pipe up or just gut the original one, what would be the best or would it make no difference?

Right about the turbo. Powerwise i am looking for as much as poss without messing about with internals. So can I just go and buy a ct9 hybrid or a td04 etc and just unbolt mine and bolt one of them on? Is it as simple as that? Im guessing I would need to get the boost controller and fueling etc set up again? Also is the head gaskett a big job on the ep91 engine? I could get it all done at work as I work in a garage. I would really like to slap a td04 on there and get a thicker head gaskett. What power can I be expecting with a td04 on there with my mods now? fmic, blitz exhaust full system, hks filter, uprated fuel pump, boost controller and a decat (soon).

Speak to Turbo Dynamics about a ct9 hybrid.

Good for up to 1.5bar max.

Should be more than capable of around the 250 mark as long as youre engine can cope.

Also speak to Dave Burwash, He sells stunning hybrid ct9's of the same spec as mine.

You dont need a remap for just a gutted cat/decat and/or uprated manifold/ported manifold.

Obviously one would be ideal, but its not essential.

Just gutted the cat, doesnt really seem to be any different though in sound or performance? How much will a ct9 hybrid set me back? will I have to change ANYTHING else at all or will it just bolt on? I just cant seem to get my head round the fact that you can just bolt on a bigger turbo and not upgrade anything else! What power can I expect if I was to install a ct9 hybrid and change nothing else at all?

And yeah Ady I know your a dodgy bastard! :p

i noticed more midrange when i did mine???

tong turbos sell a gt-spec hybrid for £450 it comes with a three month warrenty.

glanza ragger, what do turbo dynamics do to their ct9 to make it handle 1.5 bar reliably??

abit dubius about that

you might notice a slight gain in performance but you need to sort out the fualing to notice the gains and as yours hasnt hit fual cut do you have a remaped ecu?

check underneath the dash to se if it has any stickers like jam or anthing else on it as in your other post it should have hit fual cut.

It has a jam fcc fitted, I do know that. It used to hit fuel cut but now I've messed about with the boost controller and it doesnt although it now only boosts to around 0.92 bar max and drops gradually to about 0.75 as the revs get higher, this is the best I can get it, but I am going to book it in at Thor racing as soon as I can afford to for the fueling and boost controler setting up properly!. I arnt 100% sure what it has fitted as the last owner wasnt sure as it came tuned from japan with no spec details, so all I know it has it what the eye can see! Is it really worth £450 then for a hybrid ct9? Whats the difference between a stock ct9 and a hybrid and what horsepower can I expect to see from it with my set up at the minute?

in regards to the gutted cat have you reset your ecu?

if not take the battery terminals off for half and hour and put it back one and take her for a spin.

mine was the same when i did mine.

thor wont be able to do anything but tell you if its running rich or lean and adjusting the boost controller which you can do yourself

if i were you id set about getting some sort of fual management sorted out, along with a fual cut defender,, that way you can get pas fual cut then turn up the fual to match the boost, the ct9 is good for just under 200bhp with this for a short while

once you get to this stage, (about 1 bar properly tuned)

then id start looking into different turbos, manfiolds and injectors

my gt spec ct9 can handle up to 1.2 bar reliably

click here to find out more clicky

here is a picture of our first version of g-spec hybrid with ct20 compressor wheel & larger inlet trumpet on the left and standard ct9 on the right.

IMG_2664-2.jpg

tongs turbos has now moved onto the therd evolution of this turbo good for 220bhp at 1.2 bar

over your standard turbo it has a larger inlet trumpet with gt spec compressor wheel, new journal bearings, bored out waistgate

this is the best for an every day setup with all the eye opening punch of the standard ct9 yet abel to produce more peak power

*note the even bigger inlet trumpet*

IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4446.jpg

tong turbos is in the process of the fourth revision that will encorperate a ct-12 turbine side(arse end) which will help yeald more outright power

I have a jam fcc fitted which I am told is the same as an fcd, How the hell do you get 200bhp out of my car then? I have tried to fiddle with the boost controller and I just cant get it right at all, I have tried every day since I got the car.

ok like i said before you need to sort out some sort of fual managment,

a piggyback ecu basicaly

its pointlesss fiddling with the boost controller.

the most cheapest and easiest to tune is wahts called an SAFC

after that you have the emanage blue and then the power fc,

the problem the now is its not wise to run any more than .8 of a bar on your car as you cant support the fualling for the boost, a result of this is your engine running lean which could melt a piston

so to get to aprox 200 mark you need

piggy back ecu SAFC - Emanage - power FC

uprated manifold - to get rid of the restriction in runner number three

uprated atctuater - to stop the boost droping off as you go up the revrange,

do you have msn?

Turbo Dynamics did mine, quoted 1.5 max

obviously you wont be running it at its max.

Ill be running mine at about 1.2/3

ported wastegate, larger penny, cutback exhaust blades, 12 comp blades, steel shaft, machined out to take the larger internals, larger intake and ceramic coated.

looked savage sat next to a spare ct9b i had sitting here.

i got a 12month warranty card with it too.

those g-specs look pretty mental too. Bargain price which is allways a bonus.