Air filter re-location

Spent most of the day fitting my new rx7 cooler and then this bad boy!

DSC00222.jpg

DSC00223.jpg

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

Only problem is I'm hitting fuel cut big style! I have unwound my hks actuator (lengthing it) and have done a few sessions of test drive, lengthen, test drive and its still hitting fuel cut! Not sure how much thread I have left. So anybody got any other ideas? Just keep trying to lengthen it until I can comfortably hold a steady 11psi (stopped for the night, getting to dark to see.)

Or get a mbc?

Cheers.

A MBC may not help in this case. In essence there are no restrictions now and the filter is very close to the turbo. In laymen terms the turbo can't expel the gases at the rate in which there entering. Imagine pouring water into a glass with a hole at the bottom, the water will exit out the hole and the flow rate of this water exiting will be dictated by the size of the hole. If you start pouring water in faster than it can exit then the glass will overfolw, this is like boost creep.

You can either port the wastegate to allow more gases to be expelled or you can reduce the amount going in by creating a restriction. Try wrapping the filter in foam and re-test you may be surprised with the results ;)

Best Regards,

Toby

A MBC may not help in this case. In essence there are no restrictions now and the filter is very close to the turbo. In laymen terms the turbo can't expel the gases at the rate in which there entering. Imagine pouring water into a glass with a hole at the bottom, the water will exit out the hole and the flow rate of this water exiting will be dictated by the size of the hole. If you start pouring water in faster than it can exit then the glass will overfolw, this is like boost creep.

You can either port the wastegate to allow more gases to be expelled or you can reduce the amount going in by creating a restriction. Try wrapping the filter in foam and re-test you may be surprised with the results ;)

Best Regards,

Toby

As Toby said, Either fit a restrictor inside the pipe, wrap the filter so you have less flow..

Really id say if youre relocating the filter straight off the turbo like that, you want the wastegate ported.Even then it may creep slightly depending on how much you port it.

A good quality boost controller should be able to restrict the boost to what ever you set it at within the solenoid.

But like Toby said, really you want to port youre w/g if youre moving the filter close to the turbo.

Ok lads cheers for the advice! I'll get on in this weekend, I've got some heat reflective tape that i could place around the filter. How much should I leave exposed roughly?

It sounds so so good tho, proper awesome induction suck sound and even with a blow off valve there is flutter. Sexual sounds!

Ok lads cheers for the advice! I'll get on in this weekend, I've got some heat reflective tape that i could place around the filter. How much should I leave exposed roughly?

It sounds so so good tho, proper awesome induction suck sound and even with a blow off valve there is flutter. Sexual sounds!

The turbo will chatter louder because of the shorter intake.

wrap 1/4 and test it, if it still creeps , wrap a bit more.

Not the ideal thing as you will be getting a colder, more direct airflow, but the downside is not as much flow as you possibly could have.

As long as it can take some air in, it will be fine untill you decide if youre going to port or not ;)

just dont wrap the whole filter :p some guy did that around my area, made me chuckle all night.

The turbo will chatter louder because of the shorter intake.

wrap 1/4 and test it, if it still creeps , wrap a bit more.

Not the ideal thing as you will be getting a colder, more direct airflow, but the downside is not as much flow as you possibly could have.

As long as it can take some air in, it will be fine untill you decide if youre going to port or not ;)

just dont wrap the whole filter :p some guy did that around my area, made me chuckle all night.

Haha my dad says we'll do 1 width of speed tape, test drive, then another, test drive etc. until it can hold a constant and reasonable boost (think i'll go for 11psi). But damn it felt so quick up til fuel cut! Was very fun driving, until the massive judder! lol

That's the ticket, anything porus like a sponge is fine as it will restrict yet still allow air flow. Adjusting the actuator or MBC won't help as the turbo can't physically expel the pressure. I would imagine if you dis-connected the actuator arm so that the w/gate flap was loose, thus allowing all the pressure to be expelled (no boost) it will still boost as it's coming in faster than it's leaving.

T