Depends on your power goal tbh,

Personally I feel Wiseco are the best off the shelf piston for this engine in terms of design.

Pauter/Carillo (if you can get them) best off the shelf rods

For the money Athena HG

Compression ratio will depend on turbo, boost pressure, fuel used, ecu used, how competent your tuner is.

Block work minimum will need, decked, skimmed, chemically cleaned. Head will need to be skimmed.

Wiseco with scat rods will do. Athena 1.2mm gasket with not much work done to the combustion chamber. Look for around an 8.2:1 compression ratio since you'll be maxing a td04, could go a little higher. Or if running a td05 8.5:1 would be good since its more efficient.

ARP head bolts will do the job, but if you wanna bullet proof it use the 4AGE headstuds.

Who's going to build it and map it? Ultimately it will be down to them with what they are comfortable with.

Id give building it a bash I think. Not sure about mapping even maybe me as long as a/f guage reading ok under boost its mapped ;) lol

How'd you expect to monitor knock levels? Leave it to the pro's. Building the engines not rocket science if your competent though or have some one watch over you who has the expirience.

Have to agree with Adam, wiseco and pauters IMO best off the shelf, I have a set in my garage very nice! The design of the pauter rods mean you don't need your block 'notching' to run them

Building the engine is the easy part, but blueprinting is an art and theres tricks that engine builders have learnt from experience.

As above you'll need to check knock levels, a simple home built DIY det cans is usually good enough and some tuners swear by them over the more "advanced" knock boxes you can buy.

The Pauter rods are usually much more expensive than that compared to Scat or PEC, but I would choose Scat for performance per pound.

Get stuck in and give it a bash mate, you got plenty of people with good knowledge on here and even local companies to help you out! :)

Edited by AdamB

Having a bash at forging an engine sounds fun, but if it goes wrong when you start it up then it's only your fault where as if you leave it to tuning developments or race tech for example not only do you get price of mind that its a sound build your have comeback if its breaks which could save you mega bucks in the long run :)

That's just my opinion though :)

James