What headgasket to use?

My forged bottom end has just been finished, and im now looking for headgaskets etc. Was thinking of a trd 0.6mm, however i thought this would be too small. I want compression to be slightly higher, but unsure if 0.6 is too small, im running wossner pistons as well, think they have a -10cc dish in them anyway?

TRD or similar 0.6mm will work fine if you have the 10cc dished pistons.

infact your compression will still be lower than stock.

trd was sold primarily for the 4efe yes.

0.6mm hg can still be bought but as Idrees says, not from TRD.

Phil

Edited by Philm

Depends on turbo, boost pressure and what fuel your using.

TRD will be fine unless you've had the block and head skimmed excessively.

Phil, any idea where you can get the TRD gaskets now mate?

adam

you cant get TRD ones, nengun/rhdjapan dont have them, but you can get 0.6mm ones online (ill find link and post later, gryzor on TGTT posted it up recently think its an ebay seller)

Also Eastcoastcustoms (n.ireland) have got 0.6mm metal hgs made for the starlet, and all there stuff is as 100% as can be, good company.

just for your consideration garrygt - 10cc dish pistons increase capacity by 40cc (obvious i know) a 0.6mm will only decrease that by 10.32ish cc

so your still down 30odd cc against stock.

i did 10cc pistons in my last engine and a trd hg plus some excessive skimming of head and made great power at very little boost and very little lag even with billet cams.

Phil

Edited by Philm

I did look at Nengun but they don't have them listed for the Starlet anymore. RHD have never done them as far as I know.

I did see ECC have had some done, but I wasn't sure how good they would be, as I've read that the TRD gaskets can take a hell of a lot of abusive and knock before blowing.

I did look at Nengun but they don't have them listed for the Starlet anymore. RHD have never done them as far as I know.

I did see ECC have had some done, but I wasn't sure how good they would be, as I've read that the TRD gaskets can take a hell of a lot of abusive and knock before blowing.

RHD def did them at one point maybe years ago as i bought one from them. even got pics of it in their lovely wrapping paper lol

100_0302.jpg

100_0303.jpg

i would trust the ECC ones, they are top end tuners and the HG will have been specced & tested very well. there hgs have made 570 on a 5E and 400+ on a 4e.

id go as far as saying it would be as good as the TRD unit.

Phil

Edited by Philm

Ah fair enough, I haven't seen them on there for atleast 2-3 years.

Was Spuddy running one of ECC's gaskets then? I thought he was running the TRD gasket?

I've got a Athena sat here, but some people have had problems with them sealing and pissing oil out, so I'm tempted to swap it out for a thinner more reliable one as well.

Thanks for the info Phil! :thumbsup:

I havent had my head skimmed yet, will also have to take that into consideration. However im wanting minimal lag and good power at low boost so thinkin a 0.6 would be my best bet. Will have a chat with my engine builder and see what he reckons

Was Spuddy running one of ECC's gaskets then? I thought he was running the TRD gasket?

just checked back through the threads, No your right mate, he hadnt used one before he sold the car.

he was using trd one so would have been using this but ECC hadnt got them in yet.

Phil

just checked back through the threads, No your right mate, he hadnt used one before he sold the car.

he was using trd one so would have been using this but ECC hadnt got them in yet.

Phil

Thought that was what I saw as well mate. Tempted to get one, am sure they are well designed and made to be able to withstand some punishment.

And car will be runnin a race tech td04, 98 or 99 unleaded and 1.5 bar.

You'll be fine with the 0.6mm gasket mate, will go well with your setup :)

You'll be fine with the 0.6mm gasket mate, will go well with your setup :)

perfect indeed, infact with a td04 you dont want any thicker especially if you have any dish in your pistons!

Phil