Newbie and considering a starlet

Hi all

I'm new to this neck of the woods but thought i would take a look as i am considering the purchse of a glanza.

I'm kinda drawn to these due with them being nippy from what i hear and the fact they have an engine half the size of what i currently have which is good with my 200m a week commute.

I currently own a 300bhp skyline r33gts-t, had it for about 3 months but i'm bored of it now and the petrol is a dear game so i'm looking for another Jap Chariot.

Here's one or two pics....

IMG_5946.jpg

IMG_5330copy.jpg

IMG_5334copy.jpg

IMG_5341.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

IMG_5339.jpg

Anyhow - i've had a route round but was wondering if i may be so brash to ask a few questions.

1. - Am i right in thinking the 0-60 as standard on these is about 8 secs?

2. Are the Glanza's 4wd?

3. What type of fuel economy do you see returned ( any better than 220 miles from £60? )

4. What will the Glanza top out at?

5. I'm 6'6 - am i likely to fit or will i be pressing all three pedals at once.

6. Are they an expensive car to get more bhp from and do they only run at 133bhp as standard?

7. Where can i find something like this ?...... ep91_type_r.jpg

Thanks everyone....

jon

Hey and welcome along. That Skyline looks stunning I must say!

That White Glanza looks like a stock 1996 Spec Glanza with Rays rims, FMIC and a JAM front splitter. And just the extras such as seats, awful rear wing and eyelids :)

Glanzas are FWD

Alrite mate welcome to the club,to answer a few of your questions.

Q1.please thats an insult lol,the gt standard does it in 6.8, glanza around 7

Q2.No gt and glanza front wheel drive only there is a few but they have been made to 4wd.

Q3.Not sure as its something i dont pay to much attention to to be honest (hell of alot cheaper than a liner anyway lol)

Q4.my gt has slight mods fmic,hks mushroom induction kit,fuel pressure regulator and that hits 140 mph(private road officer).

Q5.think you may have a sore neck for a bit lol.

Q6.not as dear as a skyline,and yes 130 bhp standard at the flywheel

Q7.there's a nice couple of black v's on pistonheads at the mo don't really know how good mechanically they are though but damn they are stunning though

first off welcome to the club mate you have come to the right place.

1. - Am i right in thinking the 0-60 as standard on these is about 8 secs?

acording to the brouchure its 8.4 not fast by all means standard but wack abit of boost behind it for sub 7 second times.

the earlier gt turbos are 6.9

2. Are the Glanza's 4wd?

no they arnt but you can convert an na ep95 four wheel drive with the turbo 4efte engine

3. What type of fuel economy do you see returned ( any better than 220 miles from £60? )

34 miles to the gallon or there abouts as long as the ignition system is tip top and you dont boost.

4. What will the Glanza top out at?

glanzas are pretty slow as standard and if its delimited its 125 approx but you dont really need to do that speed.

5. I'm 6'6 - am i likely to fit or will i be pressing all three pedals at once.

you will just fit but the person behind you will have to asume the possition! it was designed by small people for small people lol

6. Are they an expensive car to get more bhp from and do they only run at 133bhp as standard?

133bhp as standard, if you hunt out your parts 2oobhp is reliably possible from £1000 pounds aprox

240-50 is possible on standard internals

7. Where can i find something like this ?..

your best off looking at the auctions, failing that you could always try wrc-sales.co.uk , they have a beutiful black one in at the moment but its and auto.

abit of advice is to find a well looked after modified example as it will save you the expensive hastle of modifying it yourself.

any more questions just ask man :)

Welcome to UKSC, sweet skyline you have there :) no way you want a glanza after your skyline!! Glanza will feel dead slow for you lol. Know a few 6ft tall people, they manage to squeeze in the GT and Glanza's with seat all the way back lol

Didn't know it was 34 miles to a gallon Geo! I can only get tops in my silly glanza with no motorway driving...... erm..... 230-250 tops on a good day from full to like under red light :p But i did manage to get 300 for some motorway driving.

And cost me like 37quid to fill up on optimax, :*(

Hope you find the answers you needed CHIEF! ;)

Enjoy your stay ;)

Welcome to UKSC, sweet skyline you have there :) no way you want a glanza after your skyline!! Glanza will feel dead slow for you lol. Know a few 6ft tall people, they manage to squeeze in the GT and Glanza's with seat all the way back lol

Didn't know it was 34 miles to a gallon Geo! I can only get tops in my silly glanza with no motorway driving...... erm..... 230-250 tops on a good day from full to like under red light :p But i did manage to get 300 for some motorway driving.

And cost me like 37quid to fill up on optimax, :*(

Hope you find the answers you needed CHIEF! ;)

Enjoy your stay ;)

We can do a good p/x on your skyline mate = we have a few glanzas in stock and some more mental ones on the way

www.churchamcars.com cheers Tim....

some very nice motors there.

Is there anyone local to cambridgeshire or within about 70miles that sells starlets - i'm off to kettering today to try a standard one but who really wants standard lol.

I know it will be a culture shock from the skyline but i fancy another £3-400 in my wallet each month now.

I'd let it go for about 5650 o.n.o with it being the facelift spec 2 model. (72000m)

alright mate fair play on thinkin on gettin a starlet turbo they are cool fun cars and fuckin quick!!! i had mine of the clock until it wouldnt go no more but it still had plenty of go in the engine (until i blew the big end a few weeks ago lol) :) it is 160bhp but when it was standard it was still fuckin fast ;)

good luck thou gettin one they are the don!!!!!

Well i had a look at my first starlet today.

Was rather tidy but i didnt like the wheel or zorst and would like to try and buy a complete package.

I can "just" about fit my frame in them so i'm more tempted now.

ANother question....

How easy is it to hit 200bhp and with what components and for what sort of money. I would like to build a complete picture of what i'm letting myself in for.

Thank you.

you can get to 2oobhp on the ct9b turbo but it wont last long,

by short you will need

to sort out your fualing - e, manage

hybrid gt turbo

uprated fual pump

larger injectors

af gauge

boost gauge

hks adjustable actuater

front mount intercooler

decat and exhaust

might have missed a few conponents out but you get the idea

to do that all properly budget for 2k

like i said could be done for half that if you know how to spot a bargan

Can i ask a few more questions please so that i know what im letting myself in for.

How much would you pay roughly for the following parts - just want to check i'm not still looking at skyline money for things. (appreciate there will be some variation dependant on parts and purchase price so just estimates please )

15" rims - say for arguments sake something which is JDM. None of your ripspeed or TSW rims...

Full stainless zorst. - only ones i found wher blitz nur specs which were still £600 - dearer than what they were when i had my impreza two years ago!!

FMIC - found one about £285?

Suspension kit - tein ones i spotted coilovers for a grand which i thought was dear.

Induction kit still around the £100 mark?

Think that is it for now. Already had a look at one glanza which was so so. Off to look at two more today.

Also if anyone could be a huge help and point me in the direction of any stockists with about an hourr to an hour and a half from Peterborough that would be a huge help, they all seem to be in Bradford ( that i wouldnt trust) or down in southampton.

Thanks.

15" rims - say for arguments sake something which is JDM. None of your ripspeed or TSW rims...

Full stainless zorst. - only ones i found wher blitz nur specs which were still £600 - dearer than what they were when i had my impreza two years ago!!

FMIC - found one about £285?

Suspension kit - tein ones i spotted coilovers for a grand which i thought was dear.

Induction kit still around the £100 mark?

Think that is it for now. Already had a look at one glanza which was so so. Off to look at two more today.

Thanks.

its all about where you source parts that come down to price but check toytunings sub forum on here as stockists they are minted and toby the owner is a star

they havea mind boggling selection of starlet specific parts on the planet all in one place on this site

ul get a feel for prices also :)

toy tuning

also the japanese yahoo auctions is also a great source for smaller components

• 2 weeks later...

Right - i'm off to look at a glanza this weekend and there is a high possibility i will do a choop in against the skyline.

I really need to know an accurate answer to these questions before Saturday.

1- Average MPg at 60mph under normal driving. Am i going to break 30mpg and by how much.

2- How many miles will i get from £70 of fuel, skyline i get about 220.

3- IS there much difference between high and low boost in these cars with fuel economy?

4- Is it 133bhp on high or low boost.

Any factual answers really appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

1. Should get 34-38 mpg off boost

2. £70 is 2 tanks in the Starlet :) ;) Looking at nearly 600 miles off that :p

3. Not sure on that question

4. Yes 133bhp on high boost I beleive

hey 38mpg is abit optimistic id say to achieve that but with a piggy back that will be a different story

1- Average MPg at 60mph under normal driving. Am i going to break 30mpg and by how much.

if your iginition system is tiptop your looking at 32-34 easy, if your leads and plugs are fucked it could dip under 30

two tanks, youl get more than 220 but ive never been counted so couldent tell you by how much, im sure someone else would be more able to inform

3- IS there much difference between high and low boost in these cars with fuel economy?

low boost was designed for traction issues with most of japans mountonous regions.

it makes no difference to fual economey so no, just drive on high with a light right foot

on high boost, but there is a low boost restriction that limits boost in the first two gears meaning a vtr could creap past you,

ul be wanting to pypass the low boost solonoid to get the full 133 in the first two gears.

on a side note if you have the money and ure really wanting to get the full benefits of fual consumption and performance i would recoemend a standalone ecu, one with a 32bit map like a power fc or ultimate, that way you could fine tune the fual curve

another thing glanzas standard are not that fast, (circa8 seconds to 60 with the low boost restriction in place)

get some boost behind it and thats a different story

get it mapped, along with a few other minor mods you will reap the rewards with a great deal more extra usuable power to paist most things on the road and a car that sips fual off boost.

any more questions just ask :)

hey 38mpg is abit optimistic id say to achieve that but with a piggy back that will be a different story

if your iginition system is tiptop your looking at 32-34 easy, if your leads and plugs are fucked it could dip under 30

two tanks, youl get more than 220 but ive never been counted so couldent tell you by how much, im sure someone else would be more able to inform

low boost was designed for traction issues with most of japans mountonous regions.

it makes no difference to fual economey so no, just drive on high with a light right foot

on high boost, but there is a low boost restriction that limits boost in the first two gears meaning a vtr could creap past you,

ul be wanting to pypass the low boost solonoid to get the full 133 in the first two gears.

on a side note if you have the money and ure really wanting to get the full benefits of fual consumption and performance i would recoemend a standalone ecu, one with a 32bit map like a power fc or ultimate, that way you could fine tune the fual curve

another thing glanzas standard are not that fast, (circa8 seconds to 60 with the low boost restriction in place)

get some boost behind it and thats a different story

get it mapped, along with a few other minor mods you will reap the rewards with a great deal more extra usuable power to paist most things on the road and a car that sips fual off boost.

any more questions just ask :)

Thanks guys - Well lets hope Saturday the car is still there, i like it enough, i can drive it due to my bloody height and more importantly i can get a good deal lol.

I'm fed up of feeding some guys family everytime i fill up now. To be honest about fuel consumption if i hit 30mpg i'll be happy as i probably struglle to get 20 at the moment and with my boost controller on and full chat i probably get about 10mpg if that. So - bring on the bloody glanza from somewhere or other lol.