would much appreciate some help/ideas

have an ep82 which has started idling high, around 1500 rpm. also, its started to pump out smoke although i can't put my finger on exactly when it does this. it seems to a little when on boost, then as the engine slows down through a gear, it pumps out a big cloud when i press the accelarator again. it's kinda whitish blue, which doesn't really help!!

had it in a garage who said all sensors are working fine and they got the idle down a little, but they don't really know what else to do next.

IMGP1101.jpg

there's a breather pipe that seems to be weeping a little oil which i guess it shouldn't do, and i don't have a dump valve of any sort.

just read some other recent posts about smoke issues, mine don't smoke on idle. i'm confused folks!!

would much appreciate some help/ideas

have an ep82 which has started idling high, around 1500 rpm. also, its started to pump out smoke although i can't put my finger on exactly when it does this. it seems to a little when on boost, then as the engine slows down through a gear, it pumps out a big cloud when i press the accelarator again. it's kinda whitish blue, which doesn't really help!!

had it in a garage who said all sensors are working fine and they got the idle down a little, but they don't really know what else to do next.

IMGP1101.jpg

there's a breather pipe that seems to be weeping a little oil which i guess it shouldn't do, and i don't have a dump valve of any sort.

just read some other recent posts about smoke issues, mine don't smoke on idle. i'm confused folks!!

Smoke on boost or vacum could be rings shot etc.

A turbo would smoke on idle.

First things first, get a proper bov fitted, and fit a oil catch can.

Starlets love breathing lots of vapour, its just how the engines are.

Also pop off youre intercooler elbow joiners, check if theres any oil residue in either the turbo side, or the plenum side.

Eliminate them then tell us what you find bud.

ok, had the joiner on the turbo side off, there is oil residue. can't get the other one off.

i had the turbo replaced a while ago because the seels in the old one were shot. i only replaced it with a second hand unit though. could this oil be from when that turbo was buggered!?

when you say rings, you mean piston rings? that sounds expensive!!? are things about to go bang!!?

can't see it being your piston rings as its fast idling and if the rings were gone it would have poor combustion so can't see it being that,i think the blue smoke your seeing as you said its light so is probably the oil residue you have in your intercooler from your last turbo, but as you've probably read i'm having similar problems with fast idling and had it in college on the exhaust gas analyzer and even my lecturer is stumped about it as it has a weak mixture yet its idling fast.

the smoke i see is light on boost, but a big cloud when i accelerate again. i don't think its from the last turbo because i've had a few months of running without any problem.

in the picture, beneath where thi re-circ dump valve should be, that big pipe, the one that says 16 vavle on it(!?) is taped up with insulation tape which seems to be coming away. is that important!!?

and that breather that goes to nowhere, should it even be there!? looks a bit wrong to me!!

the smoke i see is light on boost, but a big cloud when i accelerate again. i don't think its from the last turbo because i've had a few months of running without any problem.

in the picture, beneath where thi re-circ dump valve should be, that big pipe, the one that says 16 vavle on it(!?) is taped up with insulation tape which seems to be coming away. is that important!!?

and that breather that goes to nowhere, should it even be there!? looks a bit wrong to me!!

The electrical tape is the last owners bodge attempt at covering the take off for the old bov.

Most people put a bolt in/bung/cap etc on it.

If you was to buy a bov kit made for the starlet gt, it will come with a bung made to fit in the hole.

the breather would be routed into efi pipe with the tape on, next to it.

So thats all looking like that because they have removed the recirculating valve, maybe to induce "chatter"

It looks like you have a bung with a jubilee holding it into the turbo intake hose anyway, but the rocker cover breather pipe could do with being routed into a can.

Im not telling you its youre rings, im just hinting at a possibility.Smoke on throttle and boost is usually engine related.

Smoke on idle is usually blocked pcv valve, or shot turbo.

What about the idle control valve?Thermostat etc, lots of things to consider when youre idle is lumpy or excessive.

you make lots of sense!! i have chatter!!

gonna have to get it back to a garage with this info. don't wanna sound stingy, but i don't really wanna shell out for a bov only to find that's not the answer. although i would like one, i wanna make sure everything inside is working right first if that makes sense!!

you make lots of sense!! i have chatter!!

gonna have to get it back to a garage with this info. don't wanna sound stingy, but i don't really wanna shell out for a bov only to find that's not the answer. although i would like one, i wanna make sure everything inside is working right first if that makes sense!!

Not having a bov WONT be the reason its smoking bud..

Im just saying, it should have a bov ideally.You want somewhere for the pressure to be released, rather than chopping straight back into the turbo.

Some people think it sounds hardcore, i think its plain dim.Manufacturers dont fit an item just for the fun of it, it has a purpose. :)

i don't mind the chatter, but i know a bov makes much better sense

cheers for all the advice, i'll post back if i get to the bottom of it. or if things go pop!!

Definatley your turbo mate. take off the complete intercooler - 4x 12mm bolts and one 10mm bolt undo both hose jubilee clips and yank it off, start your motor and go to the engine bay, give the motor a healthy rev and you will see that your turbo has probably turned itself into an oil drum barell pump!! For some reason when your turbo goes pop and you replace it with a "working - guaranteed ha ha " turbo they nearly always blow up again . I know because I put three "working - guaranteed " turbos on one of my starlets and they all blew up despite fitting them properly and starting them up slowly. I even bought a starlet to break (I needed a gearbox) that had a good turbo on it and when I put that one on it also blew. To keey your turbo running nicely its vital to do those regular oil/filter changes.

Best way out is to get a properly reconditioned turbo / expensive but worth it in the long run,,,,,

Turbo seals will only smoke when idling and the oil is escaping and being burnt off.

I wouldnt advise starting the car with no intercooler fitted.

If youre smoking on throttle / boost its not turbo related.

thats what i was thinking don't think it would be a good idea to start the car with no intercooler,out of curiosity have you checked your expansion tank to see if there is any kind of oil residue or check your oil cap see if any oil has emulsified on the cap as this would indicate a blown headgasket may not be, but worth the check.as this may be whats causing the smoke but unsure about the high idle.

if not and still unsure try gettin a co2 test or a compression test those will definitely tell you if you have blown the headgasket.

Again lads, jumping in baw deep here :lol: So high idle and passing oil? If oil is passing through the engine then its going to be passing through the throttle body. These are bad on toyotas for clogging up, hence giving a high idle because the butterfly cant close fully. Check that first. If thats the cause then start to look at how the oil is passing through the engine. PCV valve??? I had smoke on idle from my GT. Is it thick blue smoke? or just puffs in general? Do you still have the cat in? If you have a straight though then its going to smoke (nothing to stop it coming out) Have you actually lost any oil? Check your dipstick? Losing more than 1 liter per 1000 miles, then you have a serious problem.

Basics first remember :lol:

its big puffs of smoke, but nowt on idle at all. i've got a straight through, but i don't think that's the cause because i'v done plenty of miles with it without any problems.

don't think oil is being lost at any great rate snd there's no mayo in the filler cap!!

how do i check pcv valve? i;ve never even heard of it before. and how do i check the throttle body?

i'm v.grateful for all this advice lads!!

its big puffs of smoke, but nowt on idle at all. i've got a straight through, but i don't think that's the cause because i'v done plenty of miles with it without any problems.

don't think oil is being lost at any great rate snd there's no mayo in the filler cap!!

how do i check pcv valve? i;ve never even heard of it before. and how do i check the throttle body?

i'm v.grateful for all this advice lads!!

pcv valve is on youre rocker cover.Its the litle plastic bit that sticks up and is like a 90degree elbow.Its the breather line.Pop the valve out and check its not clogged, spray some cleaner through it.

pcv valve is on youre rocker cover.Its the litle plastic bit that sticks up and is like a 90degree elbow.Its the breather line.Pop the valve out and check its not clogged, spray some cleaner through it.

Take off the intercooler - start your engine and give it a rev - you will not damage anything at all - you should only have near clean air pumping out of your turbo outlet with no smoke / oil at all...... I think you will probably find that the turbo is shot and you will get a load of oil blown out..... try it = it only takes 5 minutes and will prove if your turbo seals are ok or not!!!!