Should i buy - Yes or no and why

Hello all

I'm new to this site and wanting to buy a Glanza V Turbo very soon.

Anyway a lad i know has just rang me this morning to let me know that a Glanza has arrived in the UK. He's sent me a few pics and its all standard and in Black, manual. However what i'm concerned about is that it has done 72,000 miles, which is approx 115,000km. Seems a bit high compared to that other Glanza's have done when they come in as fresh imports.

The second concern is that he's told me that its going to cost me £3,200 which includes the car, shipping costs and import duty, however this excludes MOT, road tax, registration and any other costs.

Due to the mileage he told me that it will require a full service and i presume this means cambelt change, what is the frequency for changing the cambelt on a Glanza??? I dont know what auction grade it is and therefore everything may not work as expected until i actually drive it.

Anyway he told me that i will need to let him know sometime today if i do want it.

Please provide any information and views on this and would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Ady :lol:

They are the only pics hes got.

So the cambelt should have been changed in Japan, how will i know if it has or hasn't?

Its a concern as he may be driving it back from the port its at and with the mileage and possibly no cambelt change, it could snap :lol:

They are the only pics hes got.

So the cambelt should have been changed in Japan, how will i know if it has or hasn't?

Its a concern as he may be driving it back from the port its at and with the mileage and possibly no cambelt change, it could snap :lol:

Cam belts on GT and Glanza is approx. 60,000miles, i got mine done when i bought my car from calder, cost £250 fitted as its quite a time consuming job as their is little space in the engine bay.

For £3,200 its an ok deal for 72,000, thats nothing on a car like a toyota giving that it has been serviced regularly and looked after.

Also its standard so it probally means it hasn't had its balls kicked in and abused. I bought mine totally standard so i got peace of mind that it was looked after.

Cam belts on GT and Glanza is approx. 60,000miles, i got mine done when i bought my car from calder, cost £250 fitted as its quite a time consuming job as their is little space in the engine bay.

For £3,200 its an ok deal for 72,000, thats nothing on a car like a toyota giving that it has been serviced regularly and looked after.

Also its standard so it probally means it hasn't had its balls kicked in and abused. I bought mine totally standard so i got peace of mind that it was looked after.

But if the cambelt hasn't been changed, is it still a good idea to buy as it could be a sign that the car has not been maintained in terms of regular servicing?

But if the cambelt hasn't been changed, is it still a good idea to buy as it could be a sign that the car has not been maintained in terms of regular servicing?

Japs are usually good at looking after their cars so it has probably had the cambelt done, thats why you get alot of imports with 60,000 miles because the owner has sold it on before they have to do the cambelt, and let the buyer fork out for a belt change. You will know if the cambelt has been changed by looking at the engine. Just on the left hand side of the engine there is a plastic cover, covering the cam belt. It may have a sticker on it with the mileage written on it, indicating when the change was done. Japs usually put stickers on there to show that it has been done. If in any doubt though get it checked. I doubt it will snap on the way home driving, just book it in and get a cam belt change. Only £250 bucks and you can get a good strong belt put on as well.

M

Also, I'm led to believe that the 4e and 5e series engines have a 'non-interference' camblet, where if it does indeed snap then there's enough clearance that it won't rip your engine to pieces, you just won't be able to drive the thing :lol:

Also, I'm led to believe that the 4e and 5e series engines have a 'non-interference' camblet, where if it does indeed snap then there's enough clearance that it won't rip your engine to pieces, you just won't be able to drive the thing :lol:

Seems like a good thing, but i need to know if its definitely a fact, does anybody else know about this?

The belt would have probs been done, ask your guy who has it to check for you over the phone?

Put the car on a trailer and tow it home?

The belt wont get to 72,000 miles and say right, 72,000 miles, your taking the piss i'm goin 2 shit myself this very instant. You would be unlucky if it snapped on the way home. how many miles are yu from home?

Also if in doubt just leave it dude, theres plenty of glanzas and GT's coming in every week! Just keep your cash, you might get one thats done 50,000 for the same price. Maybe £4000 all in ready to drive?

The belt would have probs been done, ask your guy who has it to check for you over the phone?

Put the car on a trailer and tow it home?

The belt wont get to 72,000 miles and say right, 72,000 miles, your taking the piss i'm goin 2 shit myself this very instant. You would be unlucky if it snapped on the way home. how many miles are yu from home?

Hi Marc

The guy who has imported it will drive it from the Liverpool docks and its approx 100 miles from my house. He's a trader and therefore has the trade plates to drive it home.

Funnily enough Mikey, I was lead to believe the same thing, which is contrary to what is said in this document:

http://www.dubse7en.co.uk/starlet/timingbeltstarlet.pdf

Thanks to Dub-se7en for that by the way. :lol:

Anyone know the truth, and apologies for going off topic.

Who are you buying it from?

It's not that common for cambelts to snap anyway,it's lasted this long.

If you are being pressured into buying it with no test drive or even seeing the car in the flesh then walk away!!!!

Theres a million and one Glanza's to choose from :lol: