Driving licence category a..... Confused!! Help please.

Good evening lads!!

I want to get a bike in the road because it will be cheaper to commute to work etc and I love a good supermoto!

But I'm confused, on my paper part of my licence I have provisional entitlement category A on it already, which means I qualify to do my direct access course for any sized bike according to the dvla... But I don't understand, I thought the rules had changed for bikes now, I'm 22 in October. So if I did my cbt, I could go an do a direct access course an then I would be able to ride anything?

Any fellow bikers on here who can help me out please!!!

Much appreciated!

Gotta love supermoto's.....i have 2 lol :)

Pretty sure at 22 you should be sweet for direct access mate but give a local instructor a call

i wouldn't recommend jumping straight on anything too big though mate.....not for a bit, i've got a Husky 450 SMR and a Honda CRF450R (converted to race supermoto) and both are a handful lol

There are 2 A classes A1 and A2 I think you need to do one before there other now at a certain ages. They have changed it all up from when I done mine 6 years ago. They restrict you on cc as well as power now. It's all on the gov or dvla website. Bit confusing tho lol

So just looked it up asi it was bugging me. It's such a piss take for young people now. Just got the rules off gov.uk I could ride any thing by 19 lol

A1 motorcycle licence: At age 17 or over, you take a test on a motorcycle without sidecar of between 120 and 125 cc. If you pass you may ride a motorcycle up to 125 cc with power output up to 11 kW, or a motor tricycle with power not exceeding 15 kW.

A2 motorcycle licence: At age 19 or over, you take a test on a motorcycle without sidecar of at least 395 cc with a power output of at least 25 kW but not exceeding 35 kW. If you pass, you may ride any motorcycle not exceeding 35 kW and with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 kW/kg.

Full A motorcycle licence: Test taken on a motorcycle without sidecar, of at least 595 cc and an engine power of at least 40 kW. This gives you full access to all motorcycles and motor tricycles. You obtain a category A licence by taking progressive access from age 21, or under the direct access scheme from age 24.

Category A under progressive access: You can take a category A practical test at age 21 if you already have an A2 licence that you’ve held for a minimum of two years. You don’t need to take another theory test or hold a CBT certificate.

Category A under direct access: This is for riders aged 24 or over. To obtain a category A licence you must

successfully complete a CBT course

pass the motorcycle theory test

pass the practical motorcycle test.

Passing the practical test on a motorcycle of at least 40 kW (53.6bhp) gives immediate access to all sizes of motorcycle.

You MUST NOT carry a pillion passenger or pull a trailer until you have passed your test. Also see Rule 253 covering vehicles prohibited from motorways.

Mental.........had mine for 10 years but had a 125 for a couple of years before going onto the 450's.

I guess it kind of makes sense the amount of young nippers getting killed on bikes though?

Theres too many cars on the roads and too many cu*ts driving them for me to commute on a bike anymore........weekend weapon and my ep :)

Cheers lads, hellish confusing on the website trying to navigate round :-) those bikes are stunning dude!! I know 450s are a big of a handful, I use to do a lot of motocross back in Scotland, been brought up with bikes so I'm a confident rider....

My parents have never been keen on me getting a road bike because I'm too "fucking bonkers" in my fathers words on a motocross bike haha!

I do like the husky!! Fancy selling it on monthly instalments ;-)