Camshafts

Hi all,

Just a query. When you install after market camshafts, what sort of changes need to be made? If I'm right in saying, aftermarket cams have larger cam lobes yeah? This giving a larger intake draw. Other than a decent map and other supporting mods and that, how would stop the pistons crashing into them as they will be holding the valves open further? Would you retard the valve timing by a certain amount of degrees or teeth? or am I wrong?

Edited by Danza V

When an engine is built the piston to valve clearence should always be measured then you know what scope you have to play with. Im not sure in stock form but someone else who has measured it like a trader should know.

When fitting the cams they need to be dialed in using a DTI and the specs as given from the cam manufacturer, if cam specs aren't given I would stay away from them.

You would want to avoid retarding the valve timing, but this depends on you and the mapper as to where you want the powerband.