It's my birthday next month nd the misses asked me what do I want for my birthday. I want a GoPro but which is the best 1 to get do I get the latest 1 out or is it overrated, hope you guys can help? Don't wanna get a crap 1

Dont get the 1st series.

Video is fine but they dont have the option for an external mic, and the sound on gopro's is something to be desired lol

Series 2 and 3 have this option. But you may want a second case because i believe you may need to put a hole in it for the external mic lead

Not sure about the night vision im afraid, im not that clued up on them.

Have a quick read of this

http://m.voices.yahoo.com/gopro-hero3-why-the-white-silver-editions-11951824.html

Basically say's the HD3 white isn't worth it better off getting a HD2, the hd2 and HD3 silver are very similar or if you want the best then you need the black edition.

I think the HD2 has to have a wireless pack added to it whereas all the HD3's all come with it built in.

Just had quick look about, the HD2 has a 3.5mm input jack for external mic, the HD3's need a micro usb adaptor to 3.5mm to use An external mic.

Also theres a gopro app thats only useful for wireless enabled gopros.

From what i can gather either a HD2 or HD3 silver or black are the ones to go for.

And 3's do have better low light capabilities

Edited by morgey

I own a HD2 and personally wouldn't mind owning the three, just because it has wi-fi built in. You can get a wi-fi pack for the 2, but it means sacrificing battery life which isn't amazing anyway. You can also use an external mic if you buy the skeleton housing. You wouldn't want to drill any holes in the standard one, as that might be useful on a wet day.

These videos were made using my HD2

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5V_yFqAQtbI5pf-qALhZ3g

• 4 weeks later...

Don't discount the other brands though dude.

Check out the Drift HD range on www.actioncameras.co.uk

I use the HD Ghost on my bike and it's a superb bit of kit, a lot of bike guys prefer then cause they're more aerodymanic. Have WiFi, an iOS app, waterproof straight out of the box..