Rear caliper won't bleed

I've replaced all the brakes on my 96 glanza v I've fitted 2 new front disc+pads and 2 handbrake cables,

I've also fitted new pads in the rear as the discs seem ok and just need a clean up.

My glanza has been off road for near 3 yrs I believe and all the brakes were in very poor condition.

I've replaced the r/h/r with a 2nd hand caliper as mine had seized completely and had the l/h/r caliper off to clean and fit pads.

Since refitting both calipers I've managed to bleed the r/h/r caliper no probs but couldn't get the l/h/r to bleed at all. I managed to snap the bleed nipple so decided to bleed it at the banjo bolt on the caliper. After slackening the bolt and my old man pumped the pedal no fluid was coming out??

Took the bolt out completely and pumped the pedal and still no fluid is getting to the l/h/r calliper??

I then tried to slacken the brake flexi hose from the metal brake pipe to see if there was fluid getting to the l/h/r flexi hose but it felt like it was gonna snap.

Any suggestions as to why I'm not getting any fluid to the l/h/r calliper??

I've bleed brakes on many occasions and never come across this problem, any help appreciated.

Check the pipes going down to that caliper. One might be bashed or something. Also trace it back and unscrew it at the abs pump and see if it blocked or dry there.

Also get an easy out and remove the bleed nipple and replace it. Bleeding from the banjo will leave you with a spongy pedal.

Also pumping the pedal with the banjo bolt loose is unlikely to bleed the system anyway as every time you lift the pedal off it will just draw the air back in.

Theoretically you should have started from the N/S/R.

Try all those and let me know how you get on and we will go from there.

Hi mate cheers for the quick reply I've been slow as I'm on nite shift last nite and tonight. Just found this problem on Sunday before I started work. Anyway,

Ill check the pipes are not crushed never thought about that and I've not checked them.

Ill also trace the pipe back and disconnect it at the abs pump see what's happening there.

I was bleeding the brakes with my old man in the car,when I opened the banjo bolt and the pedal remained solid, this is when I discovered it wasn't getting any fluid as I had the bolt out completely and still had a good foot pedal.

Ill get the calliper off later today Wednesday afternoon ish and see if I can hand it in somewhere to get done ASAP And replace the nipple I don't have an easy out but really should get 1 and don't have any replacement nipples unless I can get the 1 out the seized calliper

Will let you know how I get on.

Ill try checking the pipes as you mentioned and trace back to the pump thanks for the good advice :)

I didnt realise you still had a good pedal when the banjo bolt was off. This means you definately have a blockage mate.

Like I said disconnect at the ABS pump and check if fluid is there. As you trace it back check for damage to the pipes.

If all that looks good go back to the rear and disconnect it before the flexi hose and see if you get fluid there. Theres a chance that the internals of you flei have collapsed and that is blocking it.

Right bit of an update I'm still none the wiser :)

Managed to crack the metal pipe at the l/h/r flexi press the pedal no fluid.

Traced the pipe back to a 4 way metal junction valve type thing bolted to the bulkhead, the pipe was undamaged to this valve thing.

Cracked the metal pipe coming from this valve no fluid when the pedals pressed??

What is this valve? Is it just a 4 way splitter for the 4 corners?

Is it an actual valve? Not sure how this works.

Cracked the metal brake pipe on the 4 way splitter for the working r/h/r calliper and was getting fluid when the pedal is pressed??

This leads me to believe the 4 way valve/splitter thing is knackered??

I'm about to go to toyota to price 1 of these and find out what is and how it works??

Any help appreciated

Yep sounds to me like your valve is blocked.

I defo wouldnt buy one from Toyota though as the price will be ridic.

2 options from my point of view.

1: Take the valve off clean it out with parts cleaner and blow some air through it until its un blocked.

2: Buy one from someone breaking on the Forum there will be plenty as its not a common part to fail im sure someone will give you it cheaply.

Yea I'll try to clean it out,its very inaccessible without lifting the car and ill need to get under it to make the job easier.

If I can't clean it and get it working ill price a new unit I realise the dealers are expensive burned this sorted ASAP and I've replaced everything else with new would seem daft to mess about with a 2nd valve which may be problematic.

Off to get this caliper sorted now ill remove the valve and see what's happening it has to come off anyway.

Cheers again for the shout ill report back hopefully ill have good brakes :)

Got the calliper off again and it's away getting the broken nipple fixed. Will get it back tomorrow now.

Got a brake proportion valve from a breaker on eBay I've had a load of bits off him and he's good with postage and gonna have it here tomorrow aswell.

I priced this valve from Toyota and they wanted £210 for it.

When I got it off I I filled the compressor in the garage with air,its a hydro vein and delivers 7bar of pressure i used a blower type end in the inlet and only got air passing thru out the outlet for the r/h/r and vise versa and passing air into the valve thru the outlet for the l/h/r there was nothing.

R/h/r side of the valve was working with air both ways l/h/r wasn't passing air at all.

New 2nd hand valve ordered ill bleed all the brakes again when I get it back together :(

null_zps35f74dd7.jpg

Offending item...

Edited by Evo_stevo
  • 2 weeks later...

The saga continues......

Replaced the proportional valve and tried to bleed the l/h rear calliper but still can't get any fluid to it.

I opened the outlet to the rear brakes on the proportional valve and no fluid is getting to that either.

I then opened the brake pipes between the pump and the proportional valve and no fluid is coming out the pump with car running and switched off??

I then opened the inlet between the pump and the master cylinder and the pump is getting fluid to it.

So I'm getting fluid to the pump but not out of it??

I've ordered a pump it should be here today I'm hoping this solves the problem now.

When I switch on the ignition the ABS light illuminates then before the car is started there is a clicking noise from the 2 relays at the pump and I can hear the pump priming the car starts and the ABS light goes out??

The thing that's throwing me is the light coming on the going off again?

I thought if the pump was knackered the light would stay on??

Anyway away to replace the pump as soon as it gets here I've literally replaced all the brakes bar the brake pipes now :(