rad overflow filling up

My mate has a problem with his gt, after driving anywhere the overflow starts filling up, it seems to be under pressure even when the car is off, like its spitting out of the overflow pipe. Any ideas what the cause would be?

This happened to me and then gradually got worse and turned out the block was cracked inbetween the cylinders, thats my experiwnce but I would head a guess at the or head gasket, hopefully its not and its a simple fix bud, maybe someone else can shed some light on this

I had my headgasket changed and they never noticed and cost me £250, hopefully its something silly but best thing to do is make aure the system is bled properly first then keep an eye on it check hoses areant pressurising and see how it goes

Mind you, the boy that owned the car before was careless and rough as fuck...could possibly be the head slightly warped?? Water pipes arnt pressurising, however i think his water pump is leaking, not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

Get the pump done could be part of the problem, eventually it will seize up and then you will have serious problems, also was the head not skimmed when the head gasket was fitted

Edited by fremyjay

He has a pump waiting, but i told him to get a timing belt aswell so we can do it whilst the engine is out. I doubt it very much, like i said the boy that had it before was a bit of a nob haha. He also ran it with a fucked headgasket for a while.

You want to hope he hasnt caused any other problems, but until you get the pump done just monitor the coolant carefully and if.you can I would recommend not driving it until then, once its done see if the problem does away bud

Easiest way to find out is to take the cap off your rad and do the sniff test. If you have any smell of fuel even the slightest hint then its defo h/g or block.

If its still doing it with the thermostat out though its likely it is.

Does it pressurise the system then purge all the coolant out the system into the overflow then cause the engine to over heat?

I've sniffed the coolant, theres no smell and the water was clean. It doesnt really pressurise it, the coolant pipes dont go hard. But when the car is turned off you can here it bubbling, then it draws the water back out the overflow and into the rad. After a bit of though i think its air in the system....its not using water atall, just pressurising it, but only when hot.