Changing Brake Pads on V - What tools will i need?

Ordering some pads all round today. As mine have been on there way out.

I've never done a pad change before. Always put it into a garage but im getting to the point where im doing so much on the V and my old Type-R. I feel i should do it myself, learn and save money as most of us do.

What tools would i need to make this change. I have the majority of stuff for various jobs. But as i havent done pads i dont know if i will need to buy anything particular etc.

i used a C clamps for pushing the piston back in :) worked a charm with a small peice of wood on the piston

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtools/clamps-vices/Irwin-Quick-Grip-6-Quick-Change-Bar-Clamp-12389326

James

So am i right in thinking, small piece of wood against piston, 1st clamp over the wood onto piston and the second clamp on the rear of the caliper to push it back?

only need one clamp :) really you dont need a peice of wood but i allways did for safety.

put the clamp on the piston and caliper then squeeze until piston is all the way in :)

really simple!

james

If it's just that, surely you can put a little bit of wood across, squeeze with your fingers and slot the pad in? Or is it quite hard to move?

only need one clamp :) really you dont need a peice of wood but i allways did for safety.

put the clamp on the piston and caliper then squeeze until piston is all the way in :)

really simple!

james

This is for the front calipers, the rears need turning back, also remove the reservoir cap and keep an eye on the level as you push the pistons back in their housing

John

This is for the front calipers, the rears need turning back, also remove the reservoir cap and keep an eye on the level as you push the pistons back in their housing

John

Hmm, the tool you linked says for right hand side? Could i just use this for all four corners?

Only need for the rears, they are thread, the front's just push back and the tool will do both sides

John

Okay, so for the front would i need anything special to get them back in? Like the tool for B&Q jimmymac linked?

• This brake caliper piston tool set is suitable for use on disc brake calipers fitted to most European and Japanese Cars with a right handed thread. Comes with reaction plate and adaptors number 1 and 2. Suitable for use on ( with No1 adaptor ) Alfa Romeo, Audi, Citroën, Fiat, Ford, Honda, Jaguar, Nissan, Peugeot, Renault, Rover, Saab, Seat, Subaru, VW, Volvo and ( with No2 adaptor ) Ford, Mazda, Mitsubishi & Toyota plus many, many more.

John

ahh i see couldnt make things simple lol so yeah this works for the front not the back then, i stuck a rag around the reservoir to soak up any fluid ( dont forget to take cap off!!! ) :)

For £8 best of getting that tool John shared with you

James

Edited by jimmymac101

when i did mine i wrapped the LARGE rag around the reservoir so it could all overflow and just get soaked up :) let us know how it goes man

james

Will be attacking it this weekend, painting the calipers whilst im at it!