Help & advice on painting engine bay

Im looking into possibly painting engine bay a nice bright colour before I go and sort engine and fit etc.

* Best way to prep bay for paint.

* What grade of emery to use.

* What is best primer to use.

* Can I use rattle can paints.

Any pics of what people have done for idea ideas may help as well. Thinking kawasaki green or anodised purple.

Thinking these colours cause eventually gonna go for respray in midnight purple but wouldnt be for a while.

Thanks in advance Stevie.

Edited by steviet

If your going Kawasaki Green, Jawel paints on eBay. My dad has just finished doing his Land Rover that colour. About 500ml to 1L would do it.

I'd rub it down with 400 grit wet and dry to start then work up to 1200.

Rattle cans, personally I would avoid.

As above, try and stay away from rattle cans as much as possible, it may look good for a few weeks but it chips and scratched easily. Usually shows up repairs and old scratches also. I've just sprayed my front end of engine bay black with rattle can for the time being as il be giving it a full repaint in a few months but I couldn't stand looking at it all scratched. Also it isn't the right time of year to be spraying out in the cold damp air unless you have a heated, vented garage to do it in, here's a pic(hope it works) to show the sort of finish you can get with a rattle can but as I said I wouldn't advise it if you want it to look good for a long time

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/swdoorsdirect/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1aa1262b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Rub the engine bay down with scotch brite, etch prime any bare metal then prime the whole bay, rub down with water and some p800 wet and dry paper, then paint, 2 pack paint would prob b better if your painting it in your garage but you might not get some of the more funky colours in 2 pack.

Don't know of him Chris, but wouldn't do any harm. The only problem I have is the car is only a rolling shell atm. So gonna have issues getting car to and from painters. But would like it done properly and before engine goes in.

yeah you'll need a spray gun, also u dont need lacquer when using 2 pack, try and get a gun with a 1.2mm needle (thats what i use) and set the air pressure to about 35 psi, you tent to want a bigger needle for priming but u should b alright, try it out on a bit of cardboard to make sure its alright, u might need to turn the air pressure up or down a wee bit,