engine FAILURE :(

Hello everybody, I have a quick question but 1st il tell you a little about my car. This is my second glanza v on a 96 (1st 1 was an auto) I brought it cheap due to the body work being a little tatty, anyway I had it for about 3 weeks before the turbo went (racing a golf r32 and beating it I might add lol), (the car was running sweet when I brought it so I couldnt really go back and complain) I was not impressed however I purchased myself a second hand one in good condition with no play and fitted it myself.. it worked ok but would not boost all the way up properly (2 lights out of 3).. any ways this is the least of my problems because meanwhile I had a whirring sound coming from the engine which I thought was the gearbox (which I wasnt bothered about because I had planned to replace it with an lsd box.. turns out however it was not the box but infact the bottom end.. I've taken the sump off and put new big and bearings in because they are scored (the 3rd 1 was completely mashed) but I have the same knocking problem.. so can anyone please suggest what to do now..? Thanks everyone :)

It will knock again because the problem was never rectified in the first place. There's obviously a reason as to why the bearings have gone, mainly due to oil starvation 99% of the time.

Chances are it will probably need to be reground now.

But would I then need new rods because 1 of them seems a little worn because the shell was banging against it.. also why do you get oil starvation, is it a blockage?

Possibly, or not topping it up enough

You have to take the crank out anyway to be reground so you may as well replace all the bearings, gaskets, timing belt etc. Probably best to change the oil pump as well whilst your there.

As above, either not enough pressure due to lack of oil or oil pump failure (which seems quite rare) or a blockage at the pick up.

Did you check the pick up when you replaced the bearings the first time round? I've seen quite a few times people tend to use a shed load of sealant on the sumps and it comes off and blocks the pick up.

Yes oil was good and at normal level.. pick up pipe didnt seem to be blocked either which is why im confused as to why it happened in the 1st place.. do you guys reckon it would be cheaper to just buy a second hand block or should I just replace all the parts?

will be cheaper and easier to just replace the engine, you will end up spending an arm and a leg on parts and thats even if your crank isnt knackered. Find a good engine for about £500 and just drop it in!