Brand new clutch issue (help please)

Where to start...

Engine started making a loud tapping noise, tappits or bottom end I don't know, so I bought a new engine to fit in it. I bought a new exedy organic fast road clutch for it a couple of months ago and didn't get round to fitting it, so I thought whilst the engine was going to come out it would be an ideal time. Also the clutch was bought from Id-workz with, I assume, the right release bearing. Spent a whole day swapping the engine and putting in the New clutch, everything I thought was going great, the engine even started first time!

Then... I went to put it into gear and as soon as I pressed the clutch in I hear a tapping noise from the clutch, sounds like something is hitting the pressure plate. There is no noise in neural and neither when I put it into gear, just when the clutch is pressed down (even just slightly pressed down). If I put the clutch down and rev it the noise gets faster with the revs.

So I spent the whole day taking the gearbox out and checking all the clips on the release bearing and made sure the clips on the release bearing fork where in properly. Originally I thought maybe a clip had come off and the bearing was rattling around on the pressure plate hence why I checked it was secured down properly. Put it all back together and it's EXACTLY the same... Now I think it must be the friction plate as there wasn't any abnormal vibrations coming from the fork for the release bearing :( I've had enough as it is!

I've been looking for similar problems on here but everyone's seems the opposite way around to mine, it makes the noise when I press it down and not when the peddle is up.

Can anyone help me please before I end up just setting fire to the thing :( even though I love my car more than anything!

Been reading all of the previous topics going wayyyy back and it seems only one person has had a similar sounding problem to mine and the thread was never finally answered :/

Any chance the release bearing needs "wearing in" or its the noise of the particular clutch I have? Obviously the pressure plate gets some wearing on it from the release bearing, comparing it to my old one, when I took it back off there was slight marking on the pressure plate. Am I right in saying the friction plate will only fit in 1 way? I wouldn't have thought it was the wrong way around but I'm just trying to rule things out!

Also the clutch peddle feels slightly soft to start with then it has a proper spring to it the rest of the way, again assuming it's just the uprated clutch? I didn't drain the fluid from the clutch I just unbolted it so that also shouldn't be a problem. I'm siding towards its the springs in the friction plate skimming the inner side of the pressure plate whilst the release bearing is applying pressure??

Thanks guys!

I've got the same problem mate! got an exedy stage 2 paddle clutch, first time this happened I stripped the gearbox out and noticed that the springs in the clutch were loose! this was after not more than 3k miles and running 229 bhp, the clutch still had plenty of meat left on it but the springs were loose, I coated all the clutch springs with a little smear of 3 in 1 oil, sanded the clutch flywheel and pressure plate down with 800 grid wet and dry, its been fine ever since!

Regard Neil.

Yeah! Plenty of answers for the opposite problem, release bearing, but not like this :p

I'm now thinking exedy may have sent me the wrong clutch and potentially the wrong pressure plate also :/ payed a garage to look at it, after 3 hours of Labour the problem is the same :/

Brendon