Kooms EP82 Daily Driver

Thought I start a build thread since ive had my quad light for a few months.

I swapped my old XR2 for the car as I was on the look out for another Starlet to have as a small project/daily driver. It popped up on Facebook and got chatting to the owner and a deal was done a little while after :)

The car hasn't came with much history but the previous owner told me it was garaged for around 4 years until he put it back on the road.

Car had 85K in Kilometers and had a FMIC, Blitz LM filter, Blitz Boost Gauge, Blue magnecor HT leads and a blowing stainless steel exhaust. It also came with a stainless decat, HKS actuator and a Stainless manifold (Junk).

The body is nice and clean it does have a few stone chips and scratches but there was no signs of rust or damage anywhere.

Couple of pics when I first got it :)

IMG_0550_zps4e0e65cc.jpg

IMG_0553_zps1036667c.jpg

IMG_0555_zps9ae8c5be.jpg

IMG_0558_zps728eb183.jpg

IMG_0560_zps51e9e0f7.jpg

IMG_0548_zps5e8bfc0b.jpg

I was originally wanted to keep the car as it was but wanted a bit more power and decided to start collecting some parts.

First off was a Mines PnP ECU that I snapped up from Keith from Zisco that came super quick :thumbsup:

IMG_0611_zps0378a46f.jpg

Next I wanted a different exhaust as im not a fan of the Japspeed system on the car so acquired a HKS Silent exhaust from a MK1 GT I bought to break as it was in a mess and wasn't running but sold it onto a friend to be restored.

IMG_0813_zps954e9b1d.jpg

Sadly when he got a garage to do some work on the car after we dropped in a second hand engine they cut the pipe from the cat to the silencer so it will need to be welded before I can get it fitted. :shok: We still don't know why he did it.

Next was some new shocks and springs as one of the rears decided to give up the ghost and so it started to rub evertime I had any weight in the car. :(

Then shortly afterwards when I was driving to a job the car ended up overheating and ended up being head gasket failure =@ =@

So I had the car Towed to Mark at CMB Autos and put in a order for a new gasket set and Athena Head gasket from ID Workz along with a new water pump, dizzy cap, rotor and a relocation kit.

When the car was at marks he kept sending me Snap chats of the progress of the car while I was cruising around in the Company Smart Car.

IMG_0858_zps9524b9ac.png

IMG_0856_zps754af4ad.png

IMG_0859_zps5597bd30.png

During its time there I had him fit the actuator, decat and also the Mines ECU :D

I got the car back on Thursday and its running like a dream and even being set at .8bar due to running the standard manifold and suffering from boost creep The ECU has made the car drive great its so much aggressive than standard cant wait to get a better manifold and maybe got external waste gate 8)

Yesterday I drove up to my mates to check on the progress of the MK1 as he got it back on the road and cleaned up and also fit my new TRD Shocks and Springs I bought from Coxycox.

It was a right pain in the arse as all the bolts on all four were seized and the rears were rounded off but after a lot of swearing they came off and when we fitted the new ones we cleaned up the bolts and copper greased them up for future. The rear bolts we replaced as we ended up cutting them off as we ran out of patience and had some spare.

Bit grubby but never had time to clean them up

IMG_0897_zps933d0bcb.jpg

Rears On

IMG_0908_zpsa662de3a.jpg

one leaky shock

IMG_0907_zpsc533576b.jpg

Front on

IMG_0898_zps4f8d9ffd.jpg

I also took some pics of the under side of the car to show how clean it was for being in the country since 2007.

IMG_0902_zps6308af0e.jpg

IMG_0900_zpsa7f9b91f.jpg

IMG_0899_zps607632ba.jpg

Been really enjoying the new shocks and springs they are a lot better than the standard ones that I believe are from the factory but I'm only going by that due to the Jap stampings on them.

Next on the list is to change the disks and pads all round hopefully sometime next week.

Long term plans are to have some paint work done to the car and a decent turbo set-up im swaying for a Hybrid CT9 System but might go TD04.

Also Got a snap of the quad light with the MK1

IMG_0909_zpse84ec626.jpg

All comments welcome guys :D

Edited by Kooms

Nice car mate, shame about the headgasket but at least it's sorted now!

Lovely wheels too

Aamir

Cheers mate :) Yeah it was a pain but at least its done now along with the timing belt ect.

Do you know the make of the wheels as all they say on the back is made in japan and one has a jap sticker on the inside.

Edited by Kooms

Cheers mate :) Yeah it was a pain but at least its done now along with the timing belt ect.

Do you know the make of the wheels as all they say on the back is made in japan and one has a jap sticker on the inside.

Sparco's or Enkeis I'm guessing?

Aamir

Sparco's or Enkeis I'm guessing?

Aamir

I was thinking Sparcos but not really sure I think they suit the car really well just need a refurb as they are a bit curbed and the paint is flaking off.

Any pics from the side with the trd's fitted?

IMG_09181_zps79f67936.jpg

They're not too low which is fine as I have loads of speed bumps on my street and can stop dodging the many pot holes in Aberdeen.

No need to make excuses for its height :p I did the same when i fitted mine but im actually happy with the height! I just wish it was another 10-15mm lower on the front :/

Wanted to see yours to compare to mine, they look exactly the same height :D

No need to make excuses for its height :p I did the same when i fitted mine but im actually happy with the height! I just wish it was another 10-15mm lower on the front :/

Wanted to see yours to compare to mine, they look exactly the same height :D

I'm really happy with the height of the car it's slightly higher than my Glanza but I think it's fine especially for a daily driver.