Anyone here work on the rigs?

Does anyone on here work on the rigs or know anyone that does? This is a career I've been thinking about for a little while now but just recently started to look into it. Looking for any information or to be pointed in the right direction of where to start.

Anyone know rough costs and what training is involved. Any useful links or sites that are reccomended would be much appreciated.

Thanks Nick

Where you from Nick? Im saving for the course atm but mine is the commercial diving, but will be getting my rig courses first! You will need a BOSIET course first before you can step onto a rig, thats your basic safety and emergency training, then there are a load of courses you can take after depending on what you want to do on the rig, a trade will help you massively! My course is in Aberdeen I think, so I have to go across the water to do it, but there is loads of places that do the BOSIET!

Most places are roughly same sort of price from my experience. As above you need your bosiet and mist to get offshore that's a must. Also need a medical. If you have a trade there may be other courses you would need to do also.

In my experience it can be more to do with who you know than what you know mate.

Most places are roughly same sort of price from my experience. As above you need your bosiet and mist to get offshore that's a must. Also need a medical. If you have a trade there may be other courses you would need to do also.

In my experience it can be more to do with who you know than what you know mate.

Was just about to add that, its mostly who you know and not what you know in the offshore work, my girlfriends dad is a leader of a diving group and he said if I get my courses he can get me a job! I know a few guys in my are that have the courses and cant find jobs anywhere.

I just completed my mist and bosiet 2 weeks ago at survivex and im currently studying my HND Petroleum engineering and work in a car garage part time so looking to be a mechanical technician offshore buts its hard to get as everyone asks for offshore experience lol

stay away from drilling!!i've been doing it for nearly 20 years now,and fucking hate it..BUT the time off is ace and the money is quite good as well..but as people have said before it is more a case of who you know..i wouldn't bother doing your courses until you know for definite if you have a job...because there are so many people trying to get off shore i stay not far away from aberdeen,and nearly everyone in my town works offshore or are trying to get offshore,and it's the same all along the coast ..the courses are a massive rip off,you pay silly money for these courses and it certainly does not guarentee you a job...just my 2 pence worth....

Thanks for all the info so far guys. Been pretty busy lately so not had a proper chance to sit down and look into properly. I had heard its more a case of who you know. That seems to be the same for most jobs these days or everyone wants experience so how do you get experience in the first place lol.

I live not too far outside of Newcastle. I'm looking into a few different career possibilities at the minute. I like active/physical jobs and this obviously fits the bill in them areas the pay and time off are good bonuses for the long hours and time away from home.

Any more information or views are welcomed

Cheers Nick

Have you thought about a wind turbine technician ?

I'm a captain of a crew transfer vessel currently running from ramsgate Kent to londay aray and the lads are doing well.

7days on 7 days off 28 days anual leave 40k take home plus overtime which is double time.

Dong energy are currently recruiting on there website, basic tickets are

Stcw-95 all four

Offshore sea survival

Working at heights

Working in confined spaces

Riggers ticket also helps