BMC CDA AIR FILTER

hello im interested in purchasing a bmc cda airfilter at the moment as i could possible get a second hand one a bit cheaper.

the problem id that i am confused by their sizing of their air filters

please bear with me as i need some else's ideas on this

i copied this off their web site which gives their sizing for the cda filters

The CDA filtering system is a cylindrical shaped Carbon Airbox containing a washable, regeneratable filter. Replacing the original filter box with the CDA one, the fresh air flows directly to the filter and is taken in by the engine through a flow switch with minimum load loss (patented system). The CDA Kit also includes a flexible aluminium tube (60 cm long) to connect the system to a front air inlet.

The CDA comes in 2 sizes:

Type 1 (70-130) is for engines up to 1600 cc,

Type 2 (85-150) for higher levels.

Each type is also available in the different diameters needed to connect to the engine.

their sizing of say the 70-130 air filter is as follows

there is a 70mm outlet on the filter with it being 130mm in length

and the 85-150 being an 85mm outlet and 150mm in length

now what i want to know is what would be the effect on the 4efe if a 150mmlong filter is used with a 70mm outlet as this is the combination i could get

Im using the BMC CDA 70-130 on my 5efe 1.5 engine nic.

For the 4efe, the throttlebody inlet is small, 55mm approx, and the intake inlet on the bmc and the air feed u have chosen are both 70mm.

I would honestly go for a smaller size BMC CDA, they do a 60mm size that would be much more suited and a better match for the inlet sizes making flow more even. Also space is limited so also go for the smallest available length, 130mm is fine. Remember the model is up to 1600cc, so logically speaking you want the next size down which would be the BMC CDA 60-130. The kit should come with a reducer, but it may not be right, if not you will need either a 60mm - 55mm reducer, or tight fit a 60mm - 60mm reducer which will still be fine and hold just as tight with jubilee clips. Wait and see what you get in the box, I got 2 in mine and they were rock hard things, not ideal to tighten onto the throttlebody, u ideally need a silicone reducer which can be tightened over something to a smaller size than it is.

The effects on the 4efe would be colder air taken into the engine, and easier revving I found at higher speeds when the night was cold. Best used in conjunction with the jdm tubular intake manifold for the small acceleration and torque gains u seek. The actual positioning of the cold air feed at the intake end is also important, so that it getting proper direct colder air. Too long a length will cause some 'lag' at low end speeds. These filters really come into their own at higher speeds and especially at night. Its crucial they are set up right.

Well worth the effort over open induction filters and Ive tried many.

Joz

ah ok i was wondering if it would affect the flow alrite, i just though of using a silicone reducer.

also what difference did u notice with this filter e.g. has it affected the low end power or is the increase balanced nicely across the rev's

I used a similar carbon filter on my old 4efe, almost same size and inlet, I found the low end was provided with slightly more torque, which in our cars is noticeable and beneficial, even more so when the air was pretty cold. The carbon filter box also intakes a higher volume of air than you conventionally would so your engine is getting more air. The car was quite rapid on cold nights.

The BMC CDA isnt cheap new (altho your getting 2nd hand which is fine) so its good that you are asking the questions.

It is real carbon fibre so does keep the heat out better than the standard airbox and other carbon copies.

air_filtersbmccda2.jpg

The internals of the BMC CDA is also made for maximum flow and have the filter surrounding the whole of the inside, on the cheaper versions its just a mini cone filter stuck at the end which quite frankly isnt as good for airflow. The BMC has been developed and researched well.

PIC02.jpg

Hope this helps. Its defo worth giving it a try, and from everything I've experienced with this and different setups, its a keeper and sits proud.

Make sure to get the corolla jdm intake manifold for much better results, the standard inlet manifold is a restriction as it doesn't do an awful lot for the car.

As long as there no restrictions, flow will be pukka.

Joz

* And no I don't work for BMC

ah nice one yeah

i already have a rolla intake and i was thinking of sending it to headtune to gas flow and polish along with the throttle body after x-mas

i was thinking of using sum aluminum piping to make up a cold air ducting where be the best place to position the cold air duct to in the front so as not to affect low end power. my front end is stock if this is any help

thanx 4 d input lads

Hey nic

The ideal place is actually blocked as the radiator is in the way otherwise you could connect the airfeed to the bmc and have it poke straight out.

Some people have relocated the radiator but that takes a lot of work, (re-welding mounts) so don't bother.

The secondary place is to have it go up and over the exhaust manifold heat shield and out the other side of the radiator.

This will create a tiny bit of lag due to the longer feed, but it does mean guaranteed cold air flow.

Some people put it behind the headlight but the space is small and not as much air gets into it.

Those are pretty much the options, but Im sure you can come up with something better, its more fun that way :D

You want the air feed to be as short as possible (not too short) and with as few bends as possible and close to an open air source.

Don't forget at the end of the day its an air filter, but its a damn good one and will allow your engine to breathe a bit better.

Cold air is the key. Im glad you have the mani, has it improved anything for you?

Joz

Glad to be of help mate.

You'll have fun finding the right way to set it up, thats what its all about.

If you are getting a pipe made, make sure to make a hole for the air sensor and use the old bung (thing that goes into the airbox), will be much better having that in.

Joz

Glad to be of help mate.

You'll have fun finding the right way to set it up, thats what its all about.

If you are getting a pipe made, make sure to make a hole for the air sensor and use the old bung (thing that goes into the airbox), will be much better having that in.

Joz

yeah i will include that alrite

i was just thinking of getting sum piping and silicone joiners and experimenting with it until i was happy

Ok mate but don't go over the top with too much piping, its very easily done :D

I would just use some to connect between the throttle body and the air filter, that way is the best position as the sensor is there too.

Don't run the filter straight off the throttle body as that is the worst place to run it. You will be losing some power.

You don't really need it anywhere else, altho you may have seen some turbo setups, they use a lot.

You will prob need a longer air feed if you want to experiment as the one bmc provide isnt really long enough (1m) ebay has loads but bit pricey, bmc direct is your best bet for more, make sure to ask for it all one length rather than 2 separate.

Good luck.

Joz