on a 4efte what do i need to be carefull of when removing everything as my rocker cover is horrible now. was clean when i bought it now im ashamed. was thinking doin something like some dude on ere with black and green stars on it. obviously ill come up with my own idea but somethinkg that look the dogs......

on a 4efte what do i need to be carefull of when removing everything as my rocker cover is horrible now. was clean when i bought it now im ashamed. was thinking doin something like some dude on ere with black and green stars on it. obviously ill come up with my own idea but somethinkg that look the dogs......

removing the rocker cover just have to be careful to keep all the nuts and fittings in one place. can be a bitch if you lose any. apart from that its pretty simple but when i did mine i used a wire brush and thinners to both clean and slightly score the rocker as the rough surface makes the primer adhere better below are the steps i took to paint mine hope it helps:

1. using thinners and a wire brush i scrubbed the rocker cover to remove any grease,oil or dirt that was on it. whilst doing this it scratched the surface slightly and i made sure this was even over the whole surface.

2. the primer i used was hammerite special metals primer as i found the primer i used before can't remember the name of it didn't adhere properly and flaked off after being subjected to normal engine running temperatures. i let it dry 12 hours just to be sure.

3. using a very fine sand paper i then lightly sanded the primer to give another slightly scratched surface for the next coat to stick to.

4. using a can of deep gloss red i sprayed a light coat over the rocker cover whilst drying it with the hot air gun

5. i decided i liked the look of honda civic b16a engines and decided to recreate this effect. using b&q stone effect paint i then coated the rocker covered in a fine layer of this stone effect paint but as the under coat was red any gaps in the stone effect shows up red. Basically a paint with fine particles in it. i let this dry for 12 hours with gentle heat from an air gun to be absolutly sure it was dry.

6. using a can of deep gloss red i sprayed a light coat over the rocker cover whilst drying it with the hot air gun. i repeated this coat 4 times to build it up to a deep red sand stone type texture rocker cover. let dry over night around 16 hours

7. using a gloss lacquer to coat all this and protect it i built this up in 4 coats to give it a bit of durability. i then let this dry for 8 hours then carefully refitted to the car and let the engine run for half hour to see if there was any discoloration which there was none.

I know these steps don't take as long as stated but i was just being careful because im sure you have all painted something decided to see if it is really dry and put a finger print in a perfect job. After doing this tooooooooo many times i just make sure and let it dry for a long time.....