overheating problems

rite.......

Car overheated other nite so pulled over because temp gauge was up in the red and my heaters were blowing freezing cold!! Looked under the bonnet and my pipes coming from my radiator were sqeezed together not allowing and water to pass through.

Not being an expert i called the RAC who came and took my thermostat out and jammed it open. It was running freezing cold then and heaters were blowing hot! Actually it was so cold it was at the bottom of the temp gauge.

I then went to drive home about 20miles and about a mile from my house it shot rite up again and overheated!

When he did the thermostat the rad cap was off and we could see the water flowing past so it was circulating around the engine. Another thing i noticed is when it overheated before my house and i got it home my coolant bottle had overflown.

Sorry for boring you but any ideas, could it just be the thermostat needs replacing? oh and also my car is now reving itsel from 1500 rpm to 2100rpm going up and down on its own wivout me touching throttle!

PLEASE HELP lol!!!!!

Get a new thermostat first but you may have blown the head gasket after all that going on.

A new thermostat should sort it out tho as long as theres no white"smoke"/steam in fact coming out the exhaust you should be ok it's a toyota after all.

Flush the rad/cooling system out with a hose incase the rad has a blockage just incase. Just take the thermostat out take the bottom hose off and connect the top pipe on and flush it till it runs clear. then fill with the red toyota coolant,it's premixed so is easy to use.