Igniton/coil problem

Hi everyone i have recently installed a reconditioned engine in my N reg EP82 and am having a problem starting it, its definetly ignition related i think, so i took the leads and plugs off and checked for a spark which there was none i thought perhaps it could be the distributor timing as i had to swap them when i refitted this engine as the new engine didnt have one, but i then checked the spark from the coil lead to the distirbutor and there was no spark, so i think its the coil but could it also be the module that sits just above the coil unit. I have triple checked all the other possibilties such as earth wires, loose plugs, pipes on the right wire to the inlet mani etc. everything seems ok and the engine turns over fuel gets to it but there just seems to be no spark. I have ordered a new coil unit from a motor factors waiting for it now but just wondering if it could be the module if so apparently it has to come from japan, but could it be a relay or somthing else on the ignition system. I have also checked all the fuses all ok and did an ecu fault test which showed no faults.

Another thing is that before i took the old engine out it didnt start had the same problem with that too, buti changed it because the old engine had lots & lots of oil coming from the breathers aswell as the oil/water mixing, the reason i changed this engine was so i could still use my car whilst i forged my spare engine

So basically after that long story just wanna no if anyone has had a problem with their coil/module and what does the module actually do aswell as anything else you think it could be

any help much appreciated as i dont want to waste all my money/ time waiting for parts that work perfectly well.

Just remembered i also have a clifford alarm could it be the immobiliser

thanks

Thanks i was thinking maybe it could be earthered through to the body because the bolts go through two metal brackets one to hold the coil & module and the other to hold the think above it cant remember whats above it from top of my head but thanks i will double check it tomorrow i do have a fmic with custom piping which could split the coil lead but checked it and it looks ok, but i will have to keep an eye on that. I should be getting the coil on monday, it looks like the original one so may have just worn at a bad time, when i had other problems with the old engine. do you no of any fuses/relays linked to these wires or do you reckon this would also give a fault code

cheers