High Pitched Wering Sound

Well to cut things short, recently I have noticed a high pitched wering sound coming from the engine bay. Its in the area of the alternator. I am wondering if it is the alternator its self or could it be the water pump (possible because it reminds me of my shower when you leave it running too low :) ). Hopefully it might just be the belt (but wouldn't that be a squeak)

Has anyone experianced this before and come to a diagnosis?

Thanks in advanced.

Rich.

Ok might try that, hopefully wont make things worse. It doesn't sound like its coming from the belt though. More so the alternator itself. :)

Well if anyone needs help with the sound it makes, It sounds like its bloody supercharged!!!!

I have this aswell lad, Same area, Does your pitch increase when you give it a bit more excelleration?

Yeah it doe, It also get a bit quieter when it warms up because the revs drop.

trust me, it wont make it worse!

oh and theres nout wrong with the sound of a supercharger :D

S.

:p well its a bit annoying when people ask if its supercharged and you say no I spose the look on their faces is a kodak moment :)

I'll give it a try anyway. Mechanic coming over on thursday to have a look aswell.

i got this exact same thing, ill be changing my alternator and water pump shortly so will let you know if it makes a difference.

If it doesnt then it might be turbo related but the noise doesnt seem to be relative to boost pressure so im hoping its not that.

If it is turbo related, where would mine be located because its not in the usual 'bolted to under manifold' place :) just messing...

It is definatly coming from the area of the alternator or water pump, I tried bleading the water system but that didnt really do much. RM

i got this exact same thing, ill be changing my alternator and water pump shortly so will let you know if it makes a difference.

If it doesnt then it might be turbo related but the noise doesnt seem to be relative to boost pressure so im hoping its not that.

dont bother changing your alternator, i did this and it cured nothing, as i said before, put a little spray of dw40 on both of the wheels where belt goes, wheel on the alternator etc, will cure your annoying squeak dead.

S.

do NOT put wd40 on a belt.....

for one its flammable.

and secondly because its a lubricant. why lubricate something where friction is critical.

best cure for a squeaky belt is chalk.

rick is right chalk or talcum powder is best to cure a squeak be careful not to pour tons on though.

its possible it could be the alternator internals or the belt could be too tight if you recently changed it but if it was your water pump there would be signs of water lying on the ground where you park it so check that.

Well my mechanic briefly looked at it as it was slightly pissin down yesterday. He tried spraying WD40 onto the belt but that didn't work (didn't make it squeak either) he said take the belt off, start the engine for a couple of seconds, if it still makes the sound then the engine is fergugered if not take the alternator off, clean it up and spray wd40 on the moving parts (he thinks it could be the baring)

dont bother changing your alternator, i did this and it cured nothing, as i said before, put a little spray of dw40 on both of the wheels where belt goes, wheel on the alternator etc, will cure your annoying squeak dead.

S.

Ive done this before, i know the bearings are on the way out on the alternator as its noisy as feck so it needs changing. Water pumps the same believe it or not. Im unsure as to wether my noise is the same as whats been said here.