5E Block. 5E Rods. 4EFTE Crank

Idea floating in my head today regarding the above engine components... I have these bits sat in my shed doing nothing, So if its possible i will do something with them.

I Know a 5EFE Rod is longer than a 4EFE/4EFTE Rod

I Also know a 5EFE Crank is longer throw.

However what im thinking of in the simplest terms using these parts would just make a DE-Stroked Engine, And the pistons would not reach the correct TDC.

So if you wanted to could fit custom pistons, Or custom rods, Or what im thinking off, Decking the top of the block!

Main thing that would stop me doing this is the rod journals and main journals though. I know one of them is different and i have a feeling its the mains. Is there a way around this? Or could i just use 5E Rods and bearings on the 4E Crank, With 4E Main bearings? Or would i have to Use 5E Bearings? Or is it not that simple?

I know people will say dont bother etc but these bits are surplus. And if its doable, even if i have to do a bit of block machining to fit the crank.

Or shoot me down in flames and tell me the crank mains are smaller on the 4e crank so wont fit in the 5e block. (Unless i used oversized bearings? Lol!)

What do people think?

• 5 years later...