i recently bought a tte backboxfor my starlet. its a sr replica without the exhaust but now i have it :D

anyway i've took old backbox off an put tte one on. clamped up fine. a day later it started rattleing. i've had the car up on ramps an its the clamp from backbox to the long pipe (not very technical)

looks to me that the long pipe from the cat is smaller diameter than my tte backbox.

so my first question is do sr starlets have larger diameter exhaust systems?

2nd question is what can i do to fix it?

any help or advice will be obliged

cheers string

yeah, the stock exhaust goes 'inside' the TTE one, and then get the clamp tighetend up good and proper,so it holds it really tight and then put a little exhaust putty on, to stop any potential leaks :D

A sportif's mid section is no different i belive :D

Rob

Hey String

All uk EP91 starlets have the same standard oem exhaust system and the same diameter which is 1.75". An upgraded system would be either 2" or 2.25".

I have a full 2" decat system on my UK EP91.

The majority of replica and universal backboxes start from 2" inlet diameter and most are usually 2.5" which is too big.

The proper Starlet SR TTE backbox is the same as the normal system inlet diameter which is 1.75". If the inlet is any bigger then it aint a proper TTE.

The TTE backbox is also a replica of the oem backbox shape so that it all lines up over the axle and fits perfect.

Its more than likely your backbox is 2"+, if you want better feedback do some measurements or take some pics from when you do fitting.

Its not normally a problem to weld a 2" inlet backbox to a 1.75" exhaust system, but with the use of brackets/flanges it wont bolt up as good and leave room for possible rattling or gas escape. Try fishyjnr's method.

Hope this helps.

Joz

Joz mate, its not a replica ffs i sold it to the lad.

Craig mate it fits fine, none of this 2 inch and u need flanges crap.

Its more than likely that you havent pushed it far enough over the oem pipe. make sure your clamp does fit though. if yours doesnt i know a 206 clamp does as that is what i have on my sr.

Not a major issue bud.

Si

Some good info there as usual Joz dont be put down about it, wasnt your fault you didnt know it was Si's old back box :D

Liek Si said maybe it hasnt been pushed over the oem pipe far enough and maybe neededs tightening more

Not a huge issue bud :D