LED bulb wont work for 3rd brake light?

LEDs don't work either side they're on, but normal globes do? This is a serious case of WTF... Did you try the LEDs somewhere else, front light or...?

No the led bulb works for the reverse light or fog. I'm trying to have a led bulb to work in the rear parcel shelf brake light but won't work. A normal bulb works fine.

Honestly don't know what to suggest next... I'm stumped. It doesn't makes any sense to me, and I'm pretty much eat-sleep electrics...

*Edit: Unless, just got a flash, your 3rd brake light is reverse polarity? The bulb is like this one?
1156SPEC.gif

Check the socket, one wire going to the middle of the socket should be the +. It'd be a green/red wire, red I think, and the wire on the outside should be the earth, white/black stripe, for it to work properly.

If the white/black is in the middle try inverting the wires.

Edited by FMuscle

Assuming the parcel shelf lights are the same in all UK models, the back of the socket looks like this

image_zpstyfm1nj8.jpg

I really can't think of anything else either. Might be worth getting a multimeter on there to see what the voltage coming through it is. If there's a dodgy connection somewhere around there, might leech off a few volts and take it below the critical voltage for the LED. I'd be surprised, because you'd probably need to lose a significant amount of power for that, so the globe would be really dim, but still might be worth a look.

Edited by FrozenJakalope

That green/red is the power, it could be just a matter of swapping the wires. the engineers may not have thought that people woult convert to LEDs 20 or so years later and didn't worry about the polarity...

I have zero IQ in electronics.

Thanks a lot f muscle. Yeah swapping the wires yes it works. Yeeeha.

Hope this helps others. Thanks all.

Edited by Manny