Most filters are basically the same.

Different materials have different properties however.

Paper has the best filtering properties but needs regular replacement as it becomes clogged and flow becomes reduced overtime.

Cotton (such as k&n or green) is the next best, normally these have oil to improve their efficiency

Foam (hks or piper cross) is next, again oiled.

Metal gauze has the highest flow, but also the worst at filtering

At the end of the day your intake length and routing will have a greater effect than the make of air filter you fit.

If you are running a standard efi pipe, the stock air box and paper element filter will be sufficient. I.e a cone filter makes bugger all difference

If you are using a front mount the stock air box no longer is an option due to space, hence why you see people using a cone filter.

If you have ripped out the air con you can relocate the filter in front of the radiator which improves response and top end, but increases the likelihood of boost creep.

I have just done the latter having blown my air con pipe work to pieces, and it makes a huge difference. The stock efi pipe is very good at keeping the boost creep minimal.

If you are set on an air filter, you can buy relocation kits, make your own with some silicon joiners and pipe work or just measure your inlet diameter.

Hope this helps

Great advice man thanks, well i have an fmic and planning on the filter relocation just at the front bumper, and i have seen 2/3 blitz ones at £300 but wouldnt want to spend all that on an air filter, i was planning to get a genuine hks muschroom filter at £125 if you's think that would be ok? But theres a k&n one on ebay for £45 so i dont know....