input please guys! is my turbo blown or what.. newly built forged engine and having few issues

hi guys,

ive just recently put my newly rebuilt fully forged engine in my ep.

started on turn of the key first time. great!

there are a few issues tho.

1. there seems to be oil leaking through where turbo bolts to the manifold. does this mean my turbo needs to be rebuilt? can i assume the oil is coming from the exhuast side on my turbo?

there was smokle coming from this area in one of the fist start up videos but mainly because i forgot to tighten up one of the three bolts holding the turbo down so that stopped the gas coming from that area but the weeping oil is still an issue as you can see.

FA8BB7DE-116E-42AD-A959-39D965C69C10_zps

The oil isnt coming from the oil return by the way its definately coming from between the turbo and mani.

2. as you can see in the video there is a slight hesitation with the engine. and i don't know what it is. should i be checking the ignition side? ive been reassured by my engine builder it was all timed up correctly and he has quite a bit of experience in building these 4eftes. could the turbo be causing this slight hesitation? the exhuast where it meets the downpipe doesn't quite align and there is a slight blow (aftermarket parts....) again could this cause this??

3. Lastly with the engine running, i depressed the clutch to roll it forward slightly, and as soon as i did the engine cut out. (see vid below) anyone know what caused this? is my clutch not on properly or something? my engine builder lined it all up before getting it back and all i did was slip the gearbox back on and put it back in the car...

As you can imagine, ive just spent a lot of money on the engine, and was hoping for everything to be hunky dory and well its not. I dont think the problem is with the engine, i think theres other issues which i need help on! so if anyone knows or has expoerienced these issues it would be of great help as this car is doing my nut in and is fighting me every step of the bloody way!

videos:

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/snailsep911/th_22CC39B0-0444-4BCE-9A29-37EA0E8DFA62_zpssakkowcc.mp4

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/snailsep911/th_7017FC7C-F50B-4071-96E8-5977FBCA8D6A_zpsacfosxsu.mp4

depressing clutch and it cuts out straight away...

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/snailsep911/th_5D801AD0-B615-4252-8686-3465F63F8C0F_zpsc0raqcnj.mp4

please let me know if the videos are really jumpy. ive just uploaded them to photobucket via wifi and they seem to be jumpy for me, maybe my comp. i can reload them again if so. but you can def hear the stutter im talking about.

Also i primed the turbo prior to start up so no issues there. and ignore the gauges i need to recalibrate them and wire in the indiglo dials

any help/input would be really helpful now. keep coming so close to giving up with actually finishing this one!

thanks

sam

From the pic that oil is coming before the turbo to me which would be valve stem seals. Were the stem seals replaced when rebuilt? I would double check though and remove the manifold from the head, that will give a clearer indication as to what's going on and where the problem may lay.

Yep. Valve stem seals were done. That was the one of the main reason I got it rebuilt was because it needed them doing.

I had cleaned the mani, turbo and down pipe as best as pos with brake cleaner to clear out any oil residue before fitting as I had run it prior to rebuild with leaking valve stem seals.

Ok I'll whip the mani off later and see.....

Edited by snails ep91

I've taken the mani and turbo off and it's def the valve stem seals. **sigh**. Need to talk to my engine builder about that now and get that sorted :/

Anyone else have any input on the hesitation or cutting out when depressing the clutch?

• 5 months later...