Loud whiiiiiiring noise, whilst sitting inside car

When you sit inside the car it sounds as if theres a loud whiring, kinda high pitched noise comming from behind the dashboard.

Im assuming the alternators dying, but i dont want to remove it and get a replacement if its not that.

It makes the noise louder when you first start it, then gradually decreases in volume a tad, but never goes away.

Its rpm dependant and its there no matter what gear youre in and clutch up or down.

Anybody know where i can get a replacement alternator from?

And how many bolts are there that hold it into the holder ? 3?

When you sit inside the car it sounds as if theres a loud whiring, kinda high pitched noise comming from behind the dashboard.

Im assuming the alternators dying, but i dont want to remove it and get a replacement if its not that.

It makes the noise louder when you first start it, then gradually decreases in volume a tad, but never goes away.

Its rpm dependant and its there no matter what gear youre in and clutch up or down.

Anybody know where i can get a replacement alternator from?

And how many bolts are there that hold it into the holder ? 3?

Ragger,

I had a similar problem when i first got my EP91 N/A, sounded like a super/turbo whine. got louder as you went faster. Don't ask me how but it went away after i took the glove box panel off, my theory is that the speaker cable was touching something that was causing interference. I could be way off here but give it a try and see if it works. Sounds stupid but like i said, i had a similar thing from the way you describe it.

As for an alternator, theres one on ebay, a seller that refurbs them. as for a new one i know for a fact that a 55W alternator new from halfords or partco was gonna cost me 200 quid upwards.

glanza is a 70W i think, if it has aircon and electric windows, dunno how much they are, more i would assume.

Woooot...200?!

stuff me,i thought my old alternator for my saxo was alot being 100!

Spank my ass and call me sally..I think i might just put up with the noise, or maybe wire up some kinda dynamo to the wheels to get a charge..

Im gonna check the speaker wires, i thought it could be interferance because i had all the dash out not so long ago when i was fitting me ecu and gauges..

Thanks for the heads up on the cost bud,

Any more ideas on what to check etc lads?

there is 2 bolts that hold the alternator in. one on the pivot at the bottom then one at the top (near the dipstick).

the bottom one is a 14mm and just slides out. the top one you can reach from underneath, you need a 6 inch extension bar for a ratchet and its a 12mm bolt.

its pretty easy to change out. on a speed run i could probably do it in 15 mins. lol.

Spot on Rick, ive had it off before but that was when i had the engine out just after i bought the car which was like, getting on 3 years back :)

I had a quick glance saturday at how easy it would be to access it and it looks a wee tight..

If it doesnt come off, ill introduce it to my hammer!

Cheers bud, ill get onto Toby about exchanging mine...

Do you know the number of the alternator lads by any chance? As in does any other car share the same type?

Im just wondering incase Toby doesnt reply because i msg'd him a few times a few months back and he hasnt replyed...

Craig.