Revs dropping whilst idle

Hey there guys, Quick question...

I was driving to London today, and after a couple of hours driving my engine started to drop revs when sitting at lights/in traffic.

The oil warning light flickers on and off but there's a full sump of new oil put in a week ago, so I know it's got plenty left

Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi just stumbled across your question .Does it only start flicking when fully warmed up ? Some will say it your oil pump failing. What I recommend is to change your oil pressure switch located at the Front of the block right side of the cat 2 minute job.I do not recommend you drive the car until it has been change.it a Bit of a pain to get at with a spanner I snapped the plug of and used a socket.this will cure your problem.owner of 1995 Ep82 for 8 years

The flickering is intermittent, some days it'll just start happening once it's fully up to temp, others it'll be absolutely fine. I don't think it's the oil pump on it's way out, as the engine was fully rebuilt a few months back

I've been told it could be the BOV, apparently it can confuse a few of the sensors if it's exhausting too much to the atmosphere at low revs, which can cause rev dropping (and in worse cases stalling)... Gonna look into changing all the sensors and if that doesn't fix it, a brand new BOV could be happening (which I'm secretly hyped about because I get to rid myself of the cheap one on there already)

I have never heard of a bov doing this, although a oil pressure gauge would tell you what's going on, in my opinion I wouldn't drive the car at all at the moment until this is sorted, yes I understand you had a engine rebuild, let's just hope it's the switch in the block or dodgy wiring to it, last time my oil light was flickering it was bye bye bearings, but as I only brought the car a few months before then was a good time to strip the lot and rebuild it back up