Front and back speaker placement?

Thinking of changing the speaker position in the front of my spotif from the dash to the door, because there's nothing behind the dash speakers to allow them to boom correctly. I need to know if anyone has there front speakers in the starlets sounding good, if so, how the hell did you do it! Haha. I've spent a lot on speakers and got a brand new pioneer head unit and it's still very poor. Plus I was told to make a new parcel shelf with mdf for the best sound but I'm lazy and I'm just going to cut the original one. I know jap cars are known for thin doors in the front so I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this and or can it be done? Cheers guys.

-Kieron

Starlets are quite poor for audio, first thing is forget the standard dashboard speakers, the size and location of speakers is crap to be honest, you could spend loads and the sound would still be poor because of the location and direction of the speakers. For a half decent setup you'll want to make some custom 6.5" door pods.

To get a good sound out of them though you'll want to sound deaden the doors, and make sure the speakers have a good solid mounting, you can get MDF speaker rings off ebay for a few quid. Basically you want to eliminate any chance of the door rattling or resonating as this will ruin the sound of your speakers, no point spending £100+ to just hear the door rattling.

As for the speakers themselves you'll want some 6.5" components, I don't know what audio stuff you already own or what your budget is though.

To get the most out of them you'll want an amplifier.

Forget rear speakers. You want the sound stage at the front, you're better off spending all your budget on one good set of speakers instead of trying to split it between two cheaper sets.

But to get the full frequency range you will want a sub, I recommend a sealed 10 inch.

And finally the amp, few options here but I'd recommend a 3 or 4 channel amp as you can power the whole system from one amp.
I'm sure someone will be along to say you don't need to amp your front speakers but if you are serious about having a good quality system and want to get the most out of your speakers then they need to be amped.

Edited by ste91

I was told to make a new parcel shelf with mdf for the best sound but I'm lazy and I'm just going to cut the original one. I know jap cars are known for thin doors in the front so I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this and or can it be done? Cheers guys.

-Kieron

Lol, it's quite easy to make a new one. Nice and solid for better sound, but only if you go for 6x9's or whatever on the rear shelf. You can also get acoustic carpet to cover them up, giving them that stealth look.

I just bought some 6x9 speaker boxes of eBay for £25 and mounted them in there n stuck them behind the front seat (the backs stripped so no need for foot space) they sound great compared to how it use to be.