DIY DECAT on an N/A.. anyone done one?

hi all, just thinkin of a cheap performance mod to do over weekend! has anyone done a diy decat on there n/a... if so how easy and what is needed??

i cant remember what it looks like under me car, but if its like my 96 celica, it was away from the flexi joint. so i assume a peice of slightly oversized pipe, a few exhaust clamps, and some exhaust sealant may do the trick?! i know its a bit ghetto lol but ive started a collage corse so my wallet is a bit thinner than usual until i start an onsite placement and get some more muller!!

well firstly, the catalyst in the n/a's are not bolt out they are one piece, so firstly, you would have to cut the old on out, and then replace the gap with a piece of pipe...when the garage did it on my SR with just clamps and sealant, it had a massive air leak, so they then welded it in (not the best idea as a cat needs to be in for the MOT) even after they welded it up, the Bee*R blew it apart anyway....secondaly, if you just cut the cat out on a stock system with stock pipework you will get the Bumble Bee Rasp sound that is horrible...

So what i would do is, get a full custom exhaust made up, with a bolt in bolt out cat/decat, so have the cat in for the MOT, pass that, and then swap it over vice versa :)

Rob

hi all, just thinkin of a cheap performance mod to do over weekend! has anyone done a diy decat on there n/a... if so how easy and what is needed??

i cant remember what it looks like under me car, but if its like my 96 celica, it was away from the flexi joint. so i assume a peice of slightly oversized pipe, a few exhaust clamps, and some exhaust sealant may do the trick?! i know its a bit ghetto lol but ive started a collage corse so my wallet is a bit thinner than usual until i start an onsite placement and get some more muller!!

i did it bud but using "oversized pipe, a few exhaust clamps, and some exhaust " wont work all that well i used a bit of oversized pipe then welded it in its the best way

i did it bud but using "oversized pipe, a few exhaust clamps, and some exhaust " wont work all that well i used a bit of oversized pipe then welded it in its the best way

cool. well i know a welder so he cud hopefuly do it for me!! did you notice a power gain or anything by doing it???

well firstly, the catalyst in the n/a's are not bolt out they are one piece, so firstly, you would have to cut the old on out, and then replace the gap with a piece of pipe...when the garage did it on my SR with just clamps and sealant, it had a massive air leak, so they then welded it in (not the best idea as a cat needs to be in for the MOT) even after they welded it up, the Bee*R blew it apart anyway....secondaly, if you just cut the cat out on a stock system with stock pipework you will get the Bumble Bee Rasp sound that is horrible...

So what i would do is, get a full custom exhaust made up, with a bolt in bolt out cat/decat, so have the cat in for the MOT, pass that, and then swap it over vice versa :p

Rob

i had the bolt in bolt out decat on my celica, and it still made that rasp noise i hated it!! when cat was in it was fine tho! so what causes that noise? it sounded like a wet fart when it hit powerband lol